The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you putting the dough on the pan, and then on the stone? or do you have dough and stone in direct contact?

how long is your pie in the oven for?

You don't need the pan and the stone
If you have a pizza peel - toss a little corn meal on it and slide it on the stone

If you preheated your stone - it will take care of your crust without over cooking
8-10 min of cooking is fine for a well heated stone

I've never tried a screen

I've been working on a crispy thin crust, I have the thin down pat but not the crispy, anyone have the recipe for a cracker thin crust, my baking powder crust just didn't get it and everyone seems to say their recipe is crispy but it's not, not at all
I use parchment and evoo to spread. That way I can get that sucker super thin. You will get a feel for how thin is thin. Its thin. Then I par cook it on the 550 steel. Dont know why my stove doesnt work better. But it needs a par cook. After a while you can pull the parchment but you can almost over do it. I do the same in the pan. A lot easier with a warmer dough. Spread thin and par cooked in pan. Didnt par cook this pan I made on Friday night because no time. Not crispy but golden and nice. Have to zoom in. Here is the one from the other day. The tomato sauce straight with italian seasoning has been nice. The salami leaked its liquid smoke? It was so good.
Screenshot_2019-02-02-21-55-00.jpeg
Screenshot_2019-02-02-21-46-48.jpeg

Found a pic of the last PAPER THIN one I did...

IMG_5327.jpg
IMG_5328.jpg
IMG_5329.jpg
IMG_5330.jpg

This one was fresh summer tomatoes, 1/2 fresh mozz, pesto and italian sausage.

If i remember correctly this was baked on a screen, on the lowest level of the oven with no stone or steel (it was summer and i didn't want to heat up the house). Crust was paper thin and so crisp a 1/4 slice was stable.

Last edited:
I'm taking all the frozen tomatoes I had in the freezer and making tomato sauce, this is a 1 gallon pot and I made 3 gallons of it then canning it. I did cut corners to save time so it wasn't that hard, I found an easy trick so since I froze the tomatoes whole vacuum sealed I just boiled water and spooned the tomato in for 2 minutes then added it to ice water in the sink still frozen, pealed off the pealing then cored it, after about 20 I emptied the hot water and added the tomatoes, once thawed I split each with a knife then added each to the food processor blending to juice, boiled it all down then once again added to the food processor turning the pulp into tomato sauce as you see here, Nice to have home made pizza sauce canned when you need it
WP_20190204_14_48_46_Pro.jpg

I like tortilla and muffin pizzas, the tortillas usually come out after midnight and brewskies.

Started these pizzas at 550, par cooked then par broiled. Better crust, but not sure pizza bed needs browned? I think 550 par cooked and cooked with last minute broil to brown crust will be next effort. On a positive the pizza remais good, no qualms with can tomatos sauce sprikled with Italian seasoning and salt. Lots of cheese and pretty tasty. Surely good bite on crust after par cook and cook.
20190211_171030.jpeg
20190211_171036.jpeg

Last edited:
I got the pizza right under fan and at 550 convection the results were nice. The top was beautiful golden compared to poorly heated steel bottom. Then was able to quickly finish. This one was good.

I tried a new method I saw on Instagram for getting that soft melt with fresh mozzarella in the home oven without it burning too soon or dying out. It’s basically the reverse of the bake n’ broil method:
  • Preheat baking steel as high as possible (for me, 550F) on the second-highest oven rack.

• Switch to broil, launch pie with sauce and any hard cheeses only

• Broil for first 1-2 minutes

• As you switch to bake, open the oven and add your fresh mozzarella

• Bake until done, maybe 5 minutes (here I added basil for the final minute)
There are some limitations here. It’s a more involved process, and you want that oven open for as little time as possible when adding the fresh mozzarella. I also imagine it won’t work as well when you want toppings broiled (looking at you, pepperoni grease cups!), but I was very happy with the results and will tinker with this.

First 2 pies are thin layer of brick mozzarella (very bottom), sauce, fresh mozzarella, parmigano regianno, basil, smoked chili oil. The third is a straight margherita.

IMG_7189.JPG
IMG_7152.JPG
IMG_7194.PNG
IMG_7187.JPG
IMG_7185.JPG

Just got home, gloved up, oil on, spread thin, and par cooked at 550 convection. Oops little too much here, way to much? Now how to finish? 550 convection broil?
20190222_174850.jpeg
20190222_180150.jpeg
20190222_180654.jpeg
20190222_180207.jpeg

Just got home, gloved up, oil on, spread thin, and par cooked at 550 convection. Oops little too much here, way to much? Now how to finish? 550 convection broil?View attachment 614210View attachment 614211View attachment 614212View attachment 614213

You ever poke small holes in the dough before par cooking it? with a fork. Just a few nothing over the top - and mainly around the center not where the crust would be

It helps with a more even bake and doesn't have those bubbles in the middle

I've done that several time and really like the results - super crispy

Last edited:
Great idea with the holes, cant recall the name for that tecnique. Will try it next time if I can remember. Tried my friends technique of stone. Put in on stone at 450 and cooked till top looked like so. Which was a really good level. Bottom not so much. Convection cooked top before bottom. Was tasty, massive amount of oscar meyer all beef black label. Its all that was readily available last night.
20190225_180433.jpeg
20190225_180739.jpeg

Great idea with the holes, cant recall the name for that tecnique. Will try it next time if I can remember. Tried my friends technique of stone. Put in on stone at 450 and cooked till top looked like so. Which was a really good level. Bottom not so much. Convection cooked top before bottom. Was tasty, massive amount of oscar meyer all beef black label. Its all that was readily available last night.View attachment 615014View attachment 615015

This looks so good

Matzah!! Haha, miss bringing matzah and chopped liver to elementary school for a week or two every year. Ot, matzah pizza is good .

This was a margherita I made in the wfo a couple of weeks ago and froze. Cooked in kitchen over with added manchego cheese, pepperoni, bacon, peppers, chilli, sliced olives

EmoLEsY.jpg

I have been thinking about par cooking a bunch of crust to have on the ready. Seems like a great idea.

No pics, but made pizza for in laws was good. Mil brought over pepperoni in stick form that I cut into slices. It was spicey but soooooo good. Par cooked crust in pan then finished on broil

Take a bow, those look great. What oven do you use for those? Might have already asked

Last edited:
Just went to impulse buy a Blackstone and found out they were discontinued about a year ago!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back