LF a wee bit advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WortIfied

Reaction score
I have two batches that will be ready to bottle/keg soon, within the same week, so I figured since i have a spare fridge I can dedicate to brew, why not try to get a keg system going?

I'm not looking for something over the top, i have researched some and have landed on the idea of just buying the Dual Corny kit from Midwest Supplies. It seems to come with all the basics I need to keg right away. With the ability to upgrade to better taps/tower or maybe even kegerator conversion down the road.

It costs 280$ for the kit, which I'm sure to anyone including myself isn't cheap! But it does offer the convenience to a newbie like myself of containing everything I need in on offering.

My questions are, is this a decent kit? Is it overpriced/would inbe able to build or find something better for the money? And finally will this do/perform all the necessary tasks such as force carb (obviously it dispenses but I am new to the kegging idea and have to ask such question lol)

Thanks in advance everyone

Edit: it comes with two ball lock cornys, all the necessary tubing, two basic plastic dispensing taps, a dual regulator, and a 5# co2 tank

I have found that midwest is very resonable in their pricing for new items.
But for my keezer build i have been matchmaking with purchasing items from midwest and ebay.
Ebay has some great deals on things you can get taps and regulators in USED condition very easily there but you have to search for specific items in most cases.
Also there are postings for keg kits there.

You need to find out where you'll get your CO2 from. You won't be very happy if you have to exchange a brand new tank.

Check out Keg Cowboy and Keg Connection. They seem cheaper.

I have checked into the local welding shop and they will fill or you can rent/exchange. The local hardware also does Fill on sight.

Thanks for the advice!

This is basically what I have. Make sure you measure inside the fridge to make sure things are going to fit like you think they will. I had to remove most of the shelving. I built a support shelf type thing out of wood to sit on the bottom of the fridge to distribute the weight of the kegs and secure the C02 tank. The CO2 tank loves to fall over in case you did not know which can damage the gauges.

I would compare prices at Keg Connection and Keg Cowboy. I have bought from both in the past and have been very happy. If you have questions, you can call them and they will help.

Thanks.

Here's another quick question seeing as I'm new to kegging, I kept reading about purging your tank of o2, but never really read a guide on do you purge before you rack into your keg? If so could someone explain how thats done or point in the right direction. I think I have a general understanding of how to purge once the beer is actually kegged.

To purge:
Pressurize to 30 psi, bleed, repeat.

After 3 times or so you've pretty much got only CO2 in there. I only do this after I rack. It uses much less CO2. If I were going to age for a very long time, I might purge before I rack. Although, I'd probably forget. Maybe I'll have enough kegs one day that I can sacrifice one for a year.

Back