Chocolate Imperial Stout question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishfanatic

Reaction score
I've been a lurker here for quite some time and finally got started brewing myself a couple months ago with the Mr Beer kit.

After reading a ton of info on this site, I went directly from the Mr Beer kit to an all grain with my second brew. (an Irish Red Ale)

My third batch, just done today, is a chocolate stout that I pieced together from a couple of different recipes that I saw. I was hoping to get a critique and see how you all thought this might turn out.

4.5lbs 2-Row
1.5lbs American Chocolate
.75lbs Crystal 120
.25lbs Flaked Barley

Mashed at 157*

.4oz Norther Brewer at 60 minutes
.5 tsp Irish Moss at 15 minutes

I also removed a half cup of wort with 5 minutes left in the boil. I added 1.5c of brown sugar, 1.5c table sugar and 4oz cocoa powder to make a syrup , brought it to a boil and added back to the wort at flameout.

Pitched with wyeast European Ale 1338

What do you think? Does this look like it might be a decent brew?

Thanks in advance!

My estimation is that you will have a difficult time getting the finishing gravity down below 1.026 or so. That grain bill has a lot of unfermentable sugars in it from the chocolate malt and crystal 120. I would have probably mashed that at 150° instead of 157°. My first experience with brewing a big imperial stout was similar to what you are doing here. I wanted a heavier body on the beer and I mashed at 158°. I wasn't thinking clearly when I did that with all the highly kilned malts and had a very difficult time getting the finishing gravity down to a reasonable point. With that much unfermentable sugar, the lower mashing temp will help with that.

The higher temp was actually done on purpose. I was hoping to retain some unfermentables to add some residual sweetness. I know its not in style, but I figured I'd give it a shot. I haven't looked at gravities just yet as I don't even have a hydrometere yet. I wanted to try my hand at an all grain to see what was possible before investing in a complete kit. At this point I'll take tasty.

Latest posts

Back