Kegged too early...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilbey

Reaction score
I should know better, but I was in a rush last night and wanted to get an IPA in a keg. I knew it probably wasn't in secodary long enough, I know, I know, I should have just RDWHAHB....

Anyway, I didn't. I kegged it. The SG was 1.020. I have brewed this batch before and it usually finishes around 1.012 (+/-). What should I do now???

Alan

It will continue to ferment in the keg, but you will get more than usual sediment in the bottom.

Set it in a warm spot for two weeks. I'd check the pressure after a week, because 8 points is a lot of carbonation. I've got a gauge I put on the gas post whenever I prime to carb, I hold it to double the desired chilled pressure..

I would think you have to keep it out of the fridge for it to finish fermenting though. In the fridge, yeast get sleepy...

Or if you like it the way it is, just fridge it and carb as usual. If the yeast wake up, it shouldn't be any big deal, since you'll be regularly pulling pints and thus easing any potential pressure build up. Plus you'll be able to tell if your pressure is building because you'll start to pull more foam, assuming your dispense lines are only just as long as they need to be.

I kegged up one of my recent IPAs at 1.022, where it probably should have been 1.015. I don't know if it continued to shed gravity points or not. Now that keg's gone, it was good while it lasted, and no harm done.

I have the same problem with a Czech Pils that i've recently kegged at 1.021....Was hoping it would finish at 1.010....Been in keg for a week at 35..still really sweet..I may have to let it warm and hope the yeasties wake up...if not i'll have to repitch...

I'm glad I am not the only one in a hurry. I did the exact same thing last weekend with two kegs of Dogfish Head 60 IPA clone. I tasted one last night (it has been in the keezer for a few days) and it was sweet; not what I expected! The other keg has been sitting at room temp (74 degrees F) for a week. It seemed that all fermentation was finished for a few days prior to kegging. Should another packet of yeast be added to each keg??

Thanks!

I have the same problem. Kegged around 1.020 becuase I was getting impatient. It is sweet, not overly sweet, but after force carbing it, it's sitting at 34 degrees in my kegerator. Should I pull it out and let it sit at room temp?

I have the same problem. Kegged around 1.020 becuase I was getting impatient. It is sweet, not overly sweet, but after force carbing it, it's sitting at 34 degrees in my kegerator. Should I pull it out and let it sit at room temp?

Also, the foam seems to sit on top of the beer, and when I swirl the beer around, the beer seems alot 'heavier'--it doesn't splash around like a normal beer would.

Also, the foam seems to sit on top of the beer, and when I swirl the beer around, the beer seems alot 'heavier'--it doesn't splash around like a normal beer would.

having the same problem. brewers best mild ale kit. first kegged batch.
tasted okay before carbing, now way to sweet
only been in keg 2 days.
force carbed @30 lbs for 30 hours

too sweet , please help
FG was in range kit called for

Back