Smoking Noob

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apendecto

Reaction score
I'm about to get a smoker but don't know the first thing about how they work or how to use them. I'm not looking for smoker suggestions at the moment but I am looking for as much info on how to use them as possible.

How did you guys learn? Is there a guide out there somewhere? Is it something all men are born with (like say grilling or leaving the toilet seat up)?

Any help would be great. I'm dieing to make my own bacon and smoke some ribs and jalapenos.

Gather all the information you can and then its trial and error. This is a great part for the information www.bbqbrethren.com good luck! 22.5 inch weber smokey mountain....would be a good choice for first smoker.

I hung out on the BBQ forums quite a bit, read several books over the years. Be careful with your first smoker purchase, you can end up with something that doesn't hold temperatures. You will be baby sitting that thing and may loose all enjoyment. A good first smoker is a Weber Smokey Mountain, you can read about them here; http://virtualweberbullet.com/ but depends on what you want and how much you want to spend.

+1 to the WSM.

I knew nothing about smoking, bought a 18" WSM at the recommendation of a couple guys on this forum, and have had no problems with brisket, pulled pork, etc...

I use the virualweberbullet website quite a bit for cooking tips and ideas...

I was thinking the Weber SM, too. Thanks! Now, do I go 18 or 22....hmmm. :)

Anyway, thanks for the resources. Time to bone up.

There are several great forums out there, and I'll give a +1 to www.bbqbrethren.com Several of the smoker Mfr's have good sites as well.

Lots of styles of smokers and you need to decide what type works best for you. I have an electric Smokin Tex. You don't get so much of the hands on feel with it, but there is something sublime about throwing a couple ounces of wood in the smoke box, setting the temp dial, plugging in a remote transmitting thermometer, and not having to come back until the thermometer alarm says it is done 10 or 12 hours later. Makes great product too.

I hung out on the BBQ forums quite a bit, read several books over the years. Be careful with your first smoker purchase, you can end up with something that doesn't hold temperatures. You will be baby sitting that thing and may loose all enjoyment. A good first smoker is a Weber Smokey Mountain, you can read about them here; http://virtualweberbullet.com/ but depends on what you want and how much you want to spend.

All the resources are great, but I have been getting lost in this FAQ. Anyone who is as ignorant on smoking can get all their answers here. Back to that webpage!

I'd go with the biggest surface your budget and space allows. I know many who get terrific results form a barrel or egg style, but I will ALWAYS use an offset system.

Early focus should be learning to control temps on whichever system you choose. Learn the woods' cooking characteristics. They vary between types and according to personal taste. Start with a simple rub/marinade and build on it, just like evolving a beer recipe over several brews. The following is not a board but a good quick reference about a lot of things smoking related. http://www.smoker-cooking.com/index.html

Random thoughts:
Season the smoker well before first use.
Lower temp = longer smoke/cook = more tender meat
Render that fat over/through the meat for flavor.
Don't let it dry out too much.
Peek as little as possible.
Never use chips when you can get chunks or logs
The final rest to redistribute before serving is critical.
3-2-1 ribs are hard to beat.
Brining poultry makes a huge difference.
Vinegar can do wonders for tough cuts.

Most importantly - Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew..

I vote another for the bbqbretheren for knowledge, the WSM if your not handy and can afford it or a UDS if you are handy/don't like the price of the WSM. If you go with the WSM, 18" or 22"? Always bigger.

Back