Barrel Aging American Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbyB029

Reaction score
Purchased a used 5-gal whiskey barrel from a distiller in TX. Doing my best to recreate Bully Guppy from Three Floyd's. I added 3 lbs of peach purée to the barrel and racked the hopped up American wheat on top of it for a long secondary fermentation. Hopefully it comes out great!

H

image-2013172736.jpg

Hi:

That sounds amazing. I'd love to hear how it turned out. I have a few questions: What distiller did you get the barrel from? What was in it before? What did you do to rehydrate the barrel?

I have a 10 gallon barrel from Garisson Brothers in central Texas, but I don't know how to get the barrel ready for beer.

--Cheers

chrisfiac said:
Hi:

That sounds amazing. I'd love to hear how it turned out. I have a few questions: What distiller did you get the barrel from? What was in it before? What did you do to rehydrate the barrel?

I have a 10 gallon barrel from Garisson Brothers in central Texas, but I don't know how to get the barrel ready for beer.

--Cheers

I got the barrel from Balcones Distillery. All I know is "whiskey" was in the barrel. It was a deal I found through Homebrewfinds. From the dates on the barrel drawn in permanent marker, it looked to have been emptied within 2 weeks of it being in my possession. I then held onto it empty for another 2 weeks before I did research and found out it needed to be stored properly. What I did, proper or not, was poured a 5th of JD in it and shook it around every day for 2 weeks. Once primary was finished, I racked the beer on top of the peaches and left a small amount of headspace for the secondary fermentation. Dumped out the whiskey before I racked the beer of course.

Smelled amazing.

image-1631139459.jpg

Back