I am fermenting too cold, to heat or not to heat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delaney

Reaction score
Hi,

I currently am fermenting beer in my wine cellar which is at 50F. The yeasts being used are Wyeast Irish Ale (62-72F), and Safale US-04 (59-75).

The beer has been fermenting for 3 days. The beers have healthy krausens and what not. I'm wondering if I should heat them to their proper temperaute, or leave them as is so as to not stress out my yeast. Will the yeast attenuate less well at a temperature below it's range?

Thanks,

Delaney

Fermentation will take longer definitely. I would personally take them out. Use the wine cellar to store your bottled beer, not the fermenter. I had that same idea when I started and it's not great. It is almost ideal for storing beer though. After 2 weeks in bottle I put a few bottles in there. My hope is in a year I can have a collection of all my home brews one day and see how they aged and how i've improved.

Fermentation will take longer definitely. I would personally take them out. Use the wine cellar to store your bottled beer, not the fermenter. I had that same idea when I started and it's not great. It is almost ideal for storing beer though. After 2 weeks in bottle I put a few bottles in there. My hope is in a year I can have a collection of all my home brews one day and see how they aged and how i've improved.

cool.except only imperial ales are supposed to be aged, no? Don't most beers go downhill after 3 or 4 months in the bottle??

Anyways, I moved the beer to where it should stay steady at about 20C

I know that fermenting too hot can produce unwanted esters. Can unwanted esters also be produced when beer is fermented at a temperature lower than it should be?

Back