How it smells ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bullshivit-brew

Reaction score
Ok just woundering what you think. This is not a "should I dump my beer" post by the way. I made a raspberry and polm granted lite lager and after 12 days in the primery i moved to the sec. It taist great but has a strong perfume like smell.
Not bad but not like beer.
I know time heals all things but was woundering if this is a normal thing with fruit beers you guys have made? And if so will it lay down some?

How much fruit did you use?

If you did a lite beer, I'm wondering if you may have overpowered the hop profile. I don't know enough about making lite beers.

You probably ended up more fruity than the average fruit beer. But I'm guessing it will be very tasty.

yes, give us more specifics. temps, basic recipe, etc. and we'll see if we can nail down where the scent came from... did you put an actual pomegranate in it or juice?

Here is the recipe I used made it up myself so that could be the problem. :)

Raspberry Nipple 6 gal
-----------------
4.8 American 2 row pale
1.8 instant rice
1.0 X-light dry malt extract
0.8 honey
0.8 flaked corn maize
2.5 raspberry
0.5 pomegranate juice
Safale us-05 dry 2 packs
hops
-----------
0.5 northern brewer @ 60min
0.5 Amarillo @ 5min
OG 1.046
FG 1.010
128 cal.
Added honey 10min before flame out added pomegranate juice 2min before flame out and raspberrys at flame out
mash temp 154 45min

I kinda was thinking I came in lite on the hops also thot about dry hoping it to get some spice to it what you think? I am pleased with the flaver but would like the aroma. the beer is for my soon to be SWMBO who dosnt like real beer :)

I have been ferminting at 62-68

My experience with brewing and SWMBO is that if its too sweet for you then its probably just right for her. However you may want to keep some polmgranet on stock just in case its not sweet enough. good luck

Fermentation gasses contain a lot of impurities that are being carried out of the beer. A dislikable odor during fermentation is not an indicator of a ruined batch. Case in point, many lager yeasts have a very sulfurous gym sock-y type odor when fermenting but it will clear up once fermentation subsides.

Hot tip on brewing for chicks:

They don't dislike beer. They dislike the idea of beer. You just need to call it something else and give it a different image. 30+ years of male-centric advertising for beer have had the effect of driving women out of the market. It applies to craft and homebrew, too, because, "Well, that's beer too."

Moreover, a lot of women are rightly offended when people suggest that their tastes are childish and "girly." True, there are some women who won't drink anything but passionfruit wine coolers (just the same as there are some men who won't drink anything but weak rum and coke), but the majority of women have a mature palate. They would like beer if they tried it with an open mind. It's the pretense and preconceptions that get in the way, not necessarily the beer itself.

Braggart is an ideal choice because:
1) It's not widely commercially available
2) It's stupid easy to make
3) The romance of mead trumps the modern advertising of beer
4) It's still a complex, multi-layered beverage. It's not a one-trick pony like your alcopops or wine coolers.
5) You can use the rest of the batch of beer (minus the honey component) as a counterpoint and a "gateway."

You just need to remember a few things:
* Avoid the temptation to push the gravity way up. Keep it balanced and under 6%ABV.
* Choose a good yeast. I tend towards English strains as they tend to be less attenuated, more mild and still subtly complex. Some of them seem to do very well with honey. I do really like the Nottingham for a cheap, easy to find and keep on hand dry yeast.
* The beer component should be a relatively simple, middle-of-the-road beer. English/"nut" brown is a good starting point. It helps that most extract kits of this variety are of good quality (unlike some of the more complex styles, which really should be all grain).
* Keep the hop rate mild and use noble hops.

Take half the batch and mix it with a water and honey mixture at an equal gravity. Ferment the other half as normal beer. It'll take some time for it to finish, but your patience will be rewarded. You'll end up with 5 gallons of braggart and 2.5 gallons of beer.

Don't push her, but let her taste the braggart. Tell her it's an English preparation that uses the barley to give the mead more body, like a fine red wine would have but without the acidity. Tell her that it's really a very sophisticated beverage, but it's just not widely produced because it takes a long time, honey is expensive and few people know about it for it to be popular. Don't lie, but don't just say, "Oh, it's beer with honey in it." That's selling it short.

If she likes it (and remember, that's an IF), then get her to try the beer alone.

If not, you still have half a batch of beer for yourself and a case or so of braggart to give to other friends' SWMBOs.

You all need to hang out with a different class of chicks.

SWMBO's rule: if she can see through it, it's worth drinking. Give her a thick, dark, chewy Irish Stout and she's a happy girl.

Of course, SWMBO is a tattoo artist with more body work than a yakuza.

Hot tip on brewing for chicks:

They don't dislike beer. They dislike the idea of beer. You just need to call it something else and give it a different image. 30+ years of male-centric advertising for beer have had the effect of driving women out of the market. It applies to craft and homebrew, too, because, "Well, that's beer too."

Moreover, a lot of women are rightly offended when people suggest that their tastes are childish and "girly." True, there are some women who won't drink anything but passionfruit wine coolers (just the same as there are some men who won't drink anything but weak rum and coke), but the majority of women have a mature palate. They would like beer if they tried it with an open mind. It's the pretense and preconceptions that get in the way, not necessarily the beer itself.

Really? Tell me more about chicks and beer. I'd love to hear it!

Trojan, you're supposed to say "except you, Yoop" at the end of your post!

now you're in trouble.

Really? Tell me more about chicks and beer. I'd love to hear it!

Now cut him a bit of slack Yooper. He did say chicks not ladies, so he was obviously not speaking of the sophistocated class of women folk.

Trojan, you're supposed to say "except you, Yoop" at the end of your post!

now you're in trouble.

Now cut him a bit of slack Yooper. He did say chicks not ladies, so he was obviously not speaking of the sophistocated class of women folk.

LOL!

No, I seriously want to know what guys think about chicks and beer. Really.

I don't know ONE woman who likes fruit beers and/or hefes, but so many times that's what guys think they want. My best friend likes lagers and lighter things as a rule, but she loves my DFH 60 minute clone.

I've loved beer since I could walk. Even my grandpa's Black Label wasn't safe from my toddling hands. I'm not the least bit sophistocated, and I can drink many guys twice my size under the table. I'm just curious to know what you guys think we should be drinking!

:off:

You can have your thread back, sub-zero.

Well SWMBO likes milder pales and belgians, but doesn't enjoy anything with the world imperial on it. Every other girl I hang out with drinks bud light or natty.

I have to admit, my woman does like the lighter side of beers... but she is used to Ultra or bud light. I have been buying more craft beers, and she seems to enjoy the wheat beers and fruitier wheat beers (but it is summer, and I have to admit... wheat + citrus = refreshing!).

I've also given her a few mildly hoppy ales. She really hated the IPA (said it smells like perfume and tastes that way too..) but after a few ales that were more on the hoppy side instead of malty, she really liked them. I think, a little bit of tasting and she will appreciate a wider range of brews.

The problem really comes down to "I don't want to gain weight drinking beer". Not much I can say about that =(

LMAO you guy's are funny never said the soon to be SWMBO dosnt like beer said she dosnt like real beer. Things like RIS my fav. or porters and strong ale. I have been getting her into a few of the summer micro brews thow. She likes the Mic ultra raspberry and thats why I made this bach. Truth be known I like it to, on a hot day on the river it hits the spot. I truly believe women are equal to men in every way, thats why I keep telling her she should work hard to support me so I can quit my job and be a good little house husband LOL.

Now about the smell, you all think it will lay down? dont really want to drink perfume and would like to have some ideas to fix it next time if it dosent go away. :)

O-ya this came in at 126 cal beer so if it works out she will be happy about the wait gain thing. I hear that a lot to. So I know what you meen killerkellers. Look at it this way at least she takes pride in how she looks that is a good woman

Now about the smell, you all think it will lay down? dont really want to drink perfume and would like to have some ideas to fix it next time if it dosent go away. :)

It may lay down, My experience with fruit/"green" ingredient beer is that the smell is always "different". Some of them get better, some don't (and some taste like crap forever, and smell worst), I'm sorry I have no experience with raspberry or pomegranate. Let us know how it turns out after conditioning.

I have a Blackbeery Ale that has been in the bottles for about 6 weeks now, and they are getting better and better.

While it was in the secondary, the smell of blackberries was quite strong. I racked to a tertiary vessel and left it in ther for about 7 days, when I popped the top on the tertiary, I immediately though it was infected. Smelled very sour!

When I took my last gravity reading I sampled it and it tasted quite sour as well. This sour flavor only reinforced my thought of having an infection.

After 3 weeks in the bottle, I was surprised at the flavor, still a bit sour, but I chalked it up to being "green". However, I didn't pasturize, or sanitize my fruit addition, just froze, thawed, and pureed before racking on to it. Who knows, maybe there was some infection, but it tastes great now!

The blackberry flavor isn't overpowering but it is definitely noticeable, slightly tart with a sweet finish. I must say I am actually surprised and proud of my first fruit beer attempt. I made it for SWMBO she likes fruit beers and meade/melomel.

212 calories/12oz but it is delicious, I drank 9 of them last Sunday.:drunk:

Well I bottled it tonight and the smell layed down. It is fantastic, nice sent great taist. The S2B-SWMBO will be pleased I think. I cant wait for it to carb up so I can try it cold. This is going to be a great sitting in the hot sun getting smoked kinda beer I will make it again for sure. Preaty happy since it is only my second brew and I wrote the recipe myself.

LOL!

No, I seriously want to know what guys think about chicks and beer. Really.

There's a comedy show in England called the pub landlord making fun of pub culture. The comedian goes up to ladies in the front row, takes their pints and gives them a glass of white wine in exchange.

The Pub Landlord

In England, I've also heard Guinness described as a girl's drink.

Back