Did I stick my fermentation at bottling time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkoegel

Reaction score
My first batch of cider ever......so bear with me please.
Nothing too complicated here.
3 gal fresh pressed cider.
16oz molasses
16oz light brown sugar
1 1/2tsp pectic enzyme
LALVIN EC-1118

2 weeks in primary (3 gal carboy)
3 weeks in secondary (topped off carboy with apple juice)
FG was .998 (no OG, broke my first hydrometer)
I was still getting a bubble every 4-5 min when I decided to bottle. Racked into the sanitized bottling bucket, added 6Tbsp (about 3oz) priming sugar, also added 1/2cup of xylitol for a little sweetness. It did off-gas a lot while adding the sugars and stirring.
After 2 weeks in the bottle there is no sign of carbing whatsoever. It tastes good, but it is very flat.
22oz beer bottles stored in the dark at 68deg.

Give it some time. Two weeks actually might not be long enough. Check back after 3 weeks and check more than 1 bottle (then recap if you want)

The bottles are slowly disappearing one by one. It drinks very nice as a semi-sweet still cider. I am going to leave at least 6 of the 22's to age a couple months and see how they come out.

Depending on your desired carbonation level 3 oz. isn't enough to bottle carb in most cases. Recommended is 3/4 cup or about 6 oz. of sugar.

Back