Ready to bottle??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mayday1019

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a partial mash IPA which I brewed 4 weeks ago today. It was in the primary for 2 weeks then in the secondary for an additional 2. When I transferred it to the secondary, it was good to go. There was really no activity and most of the krausen had fallen.

I noticed some activity in the airlock after about 5 days in the secondary, and now there's a few spores of krausen forming on top of the secondary. Should I wait some more time to bottle?

This is where a hydrometer comes into play for the right answer...if the gravity is within the guidelines for the style then it's ready to bottle...other than that it's a guess.

The non-hydrometer users would say it is time to bottle based upon the
1-2-3 method - 1 week in the primary, 2 weeks in the secondary and 3 weeks in the bottle for conditioning.:D

IMO, there's nothing wrong with using either method except using the hydrometer takes the guess work out of the equation.:D

Back