Potential of frozen juice concentrate for Beersmith

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidboswell

Reaction score
I had some time on my hand yesterday and about 5lbs of honey left over from a group mead brew session several years ago. They honey had crystallized and darkened considerably, but I didn't want to toss it. I also had a packet of wine yeast in the fridge so I decided to wing it.

I purchased some 100% juice concentrate (label said add 36oz water to 12oz of concentrate for 100% juice drink) and also found some frozen pitted cherries in the freezer so I ran them through a meat grinder into a nylon bag (about 2.5 or 3 lbs).

I added the honey, concentrate, and enough water to come out to 4 gal in my fermenter and added table sugar (about a pound) until OG of 1.070ish. I dropped in the cherry mush and some campden tables for a 24 hour rest and will pitch tonight (along with some yeast nutrient and pectin).

Anyway, any simple method of figuring out the potential for the concentrate to put in as an extract in Beersmith?

If you have any of the concentrate left, you can measure the gravity. You'll need to dilute it enough to do so, but then you can calculate the gravity/BRIX of the concentrate (most concentrates will probably be in the 60-70 Brix range).

I take it you want a low ABV batch? Starting with a gravity of 1.070, and then adding fruit that will have a gravity of 1.040-1.050 (most likely) will give you an actual starting gravity of somewhere below 1.070. You can calculate it if you know the gravity of the cherry mush juice, and the amount you added, or you can just strain up a sample and measure the gravity before you pitch.

Back