Question about conditioning time, bottles vs kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alpo

Reaction score
Forgive me if this seems rudimentary, but I've only recently been studying up on kegging.

Most people say to wait at least 3 weeks before drinking bottled beer, often even longer. However, I see a lot of people that say you can drink a draft beer right after you force carb it. Why is this? Doesn't the kegged beer have to mature also? Obviously, part of the reason you wait with bottles is for the carbing and flocculation, but that should only take a couple weeks.

Generally it takes 2 weeks to a month minimum fermentation to be ready to keg or bottle. The gravity of the wort and the type of yeast and the temperature determines this time. Bottles take 3 to 4 weeks to produce enough CO2 in solution. You can always drink any beer before it's time but it will never be as good as when you age it long enough. If you keg and let your beer carb at 36F and 10PSI it will be ready in 7 to 9 days.

Back