still possible to make a coffee stout? (now in secondary)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrEcted1

Reaction score
I just put my brew in the secondary last weekend.

This whole time i've been tinkering with the idea of making this a coffee stout. I finally decided that I want to go ahead and do it. My brew is now in secondary and it's been there for about 4 days. How would I go about adding a nice coffee characteristic to this brew without making it over-powering? Just a nice coffee touch would be ideal. I am assuming I could just brew some good quality coffee, bring it down to room temperature and siphon into my secondary (or at least avoid splashing somehow)... but I just don't know how much to add, or if it's still do-able at this stage.

Thank you!

you can add it at bottling to taste...can't remember how much people were adding, but there are definitely some threads on that around here.

MrEcted1 said:
I just put my brew in the secondary last weekend.

This whole time i've been tinkering with the idea of making this a coffee stout. I finally decided that I want to go ahead and do it. My brew is now in secondary and it's been there for about 4 days. How would I go about adding a nice coffee characteristic to this brew without making it over-powering? Just a nice coffee touch would be ideal. I am assuming I could just brew some good quality coffee, bring it down to room temperature and siphon into my secondary (or at least avoid splashing somehow)... but I just don't know how much to add, or if it's still do-able at this stage.

Thank you!

I made an espresso stout and I added the coffee at bottling time. That allowed me to add it a little at a time, mix it gently, and taste until I had the intensity that I wanted (which ended up being 16 oz of dark italian espresso, but I wanted a relatively pronounced coffee taste).

-walker

MrEcted1 said:
How would I go about adding a nice coffee characteristic to this brew without making it over-powering? Just a nice coffee touch would be ideal.
The Sep 2005 issue of BYO has a clone for Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout. They suggest 3 oz. coffee, brewed and added to secondary.

El Pistolero said:
The Sep 2005 issue of BYO has a clone for Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout. They suggest 3 oz. coffee, brewed and added to secondary.

3oz is all... wow, I thought it would need a lot more then that... oh well, better faint then too strong IMO

i just made a stout-a-ccino and in the secondary i added .5 lb of whole coffee bean. i took a reading the other day and of course had to sample what was in the tube (no sense in letting good beer go to waste) and it was very good. with some carbonation it's gonna be a kicker i bet.

looking forward to it

MrEcted1 said:
3oz is all... wow, I thought it would need a lot more then that... oh well, better faint then too strong IMO

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe that means coffee brewed with 3 oz of coffee beans, not 3 fl ozs of brewed coffee.

MrEcted1 said:
Yes, three oz of ground coffee is all it takes...according to Tony Magee from Lagunitas. I'd use a dark espresso grind myself...the commercial version tastes like espresso anyway.

Latest posts

Back