risk of bottle bombs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TaylorBrewed

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Tomorrow I plain on bottling my bavarian hefeweizen. According to bjcp it should be primed 3.6-4.48 . I would really like to prime my bottles to that but the corn sugar that came with my kit is not enough to reach that level of Carb. I believe I will only get 2.5 or equivalent to the prime for a ale.

My question to you is this... If I used extra corn sugar that I have on had to prime my bottles to this level do I risk the chance of bottle bombs?

I normaly just prime as the kit says but I believe all kits from this online vendor comes with the same amount of corn sugar. I want to start improving my need and keeping my beer true to style.

I have read of bottle bombs and the horror that comes with it and I'm unsure what is the max amount I can prime my bottles.

Any suggestion on any methods to avoid bottle bombs and what I should do would be great thanks.

It really depends of your bottles regular 12oz bottles will hold safely 3 volumes of co2, half a liter euro bottles (like any heffeweissen bottles) will held between 4 and 5 volumes, belgian 12 oz bottles between 5 and 6, kolsh swing tops maybe more, champange bottles up to 9...This been said I dont think you should have any troubles bottling it at the lowest point recomended for the style

Back