Help with wires ( pics inside )

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thehopguy

Reaction score
I had a similar thread in the DIY section but it didnt get many responses so I'm hoping to shed some more light on this.

I bought a pc fan. DC12V with Three speed settings. This is what the package says. "3-pin and 4-pin power connectors provide convenient connnections to your motherboard or power supply". It looks like this

fan.jpg

and this part connects to this:
wires1.jpg

What I did was strip the wire near the beginning, before the adapter part and then stripped my wall worts wires. And i'm left with trying to configure this:
wires2.jpg

I have no idea what to do here, I've tried about every configuration I can, I can't get this thing to power. If anyone knows or has any ideas I'd love the help!:mug: Thanks!

You'll need to figure out which wire from your wall wort is power and which one is ground.

Based on the picture with the three connectors it looks like the connector on the right of the picture is the one this fan would normally connect to. If that is so, it also looks like the black is going to the far right pin and the red to the middle of that connector in the picture. If that's true just hook the far right connector to ground and the middle to power. The other pin is used to change the speed of the fan and I don't think you'll want to use that. I am not talking about the picture with the bare wires. That picture doesn't show enough for me to figure out which one is which.

I have hooked up 3 and 4 pin fans to power supplies and as long as you just hook up the power correctly they'll spin. Don't bother with the other wires.

Maybe the fan was DOA. i'll get another and test it on the pc first. Bcuz I tried that configuration and got nothing. Will get a new one today and see what happens. Thx

In your second pic, the large connector with the black and red wires would've been the power to the fan, you should have noted which wires in the 3 pin connectors would've connected to the black and the red and they are your power. Its 12VDC, so one is positive and the other negative...hooking it up either way should get the fan spinning.

Update:

Fan was bad. I went and got another. Plugged this one into my pc first to check if it worked, and it did. Stripped the wires and and put them together with the 12VDC and it works great. Wish I would have checked the first fan first but, live and learn.

I'm about to buy a fan for my keezer and have an old Razor charger. On the back it states: 100-240V input and 5V output.

Would this work to power a PC fan?

5V is likely too small for the PC fan. They usually take 7-9 to get them spinning but are generally rated at 12vdc. The fan itself will say.

Back