Broken Carboy!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfox527

Reaction score
Hey Folks,
Over the weekend while cleaning my 6.5 gallon carboy in the utility sink I accidentally banged it into the side and knocked out 2 holes! Upon inspection I found the glass to be very thin just above the bottom of the jug. I measured it with a set of calipers and found it to be only about 1 millimeter thick. Is this normal for this piece of equipment? Seemed a bit on the thin side to me.
I've included some pictures below.

-Kevin
http://www2.snapfish.com/snapfish/v...ewReg_30FreePrints_2010Feb/otsc=SYE/otsi=SPNR

a=2299935023_2299935023
a=2299935023_2299935023

a=2299935023_2299935023

I don't know how thin mine are (because I've never broken one), but I would be shocked if the were only 1mm thick! That's CRAZY thin. Heck, a wine glass is made of thicker stuff than that.

I emailed the place I got it from and they wrote me back with this bit of interesting information:

"We do not make the carboys ourselves and in fact there is currently only one company in the world making these carboys. The carboy you had was made in Italy and that company has been making them for the last two years and before they started up we were out of carboys for 6+ months. Before the company in Italy started making them all carboys were made in Mexico but they for whatever reason decided not to make them anymore and so the company in Italy took over production of carboys."

Very Interesting...

Back