Adding Additional Sugar to Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunther

Reaction score
Howdy folks. Here is the dilema. I purchased a beer kit that uses honey. Unfortunately it was short 1 lb and I didnt realize until after I had pitched in the yeast. Can I add additional honey to primary directly even though it hasnt been boiled? Any thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks.

You can just add it right in. Honey has natural antimicrobial properties that protect it.

You can dissolve it in a little bit of boiling water, but heating honey drives off flavor and aroma compounds you might want to try to keep.

This is my first beer making effort so bear with me if the questions seem somewhat novice. Should I just stir it in with a sanitzed spoon or just pour it in? My SG was 1.031 +/-but was supposed to be 1.043+/- so I am assuming the extra lb will bump me up to the 1.04 number? Why did the instructions call for boiling the honey with the malt and hops? Thanks.

Here's what I'd do. Wait until you see the krausen just starting to drop, signaling that the ferment is beginning to wind down, then just pour the honey in. No need to stir or anything. The yeast will find it and do their job.

The instructions say to add it to the boil because that's the simplest and easiest thing to do with it and kit instructions are often designed to make things as simple as possible. That's why many of them say to ferment for a week, secondary for a week and bottle, when longer times in primary will make better beer.

I was under the impression that longer times in the primary could possibly consume too much of the sugars that you may want in the final product that is why you check the SG too see how much has been consumed.

I was under the impression that longer times in the primary could possibly consume too much of the sugars that you may want in the final product that is why you check the SG too see how much has been consumed.

Definitely not the case. You want the yeast to consume all theycan and finish up. Trying to stop the yeast before it's done can lead to all sorts of problems.

I am a little confused. If the yeast use too much of the sugars wont that change the flavor of the beer style you are trying to make? I have had several beers pumpkin ales, oktoberfest that have that residual sweetness in them or do the yeast expire before all the sugars are gone?

residual sweetness comes from unfermentable sugars that you get from things like crystal malts. If you leave fermentable sugars behind, the yeast will just keep eating them after you bottle and you get overcarbonated beer. If the yeast die off and leave sugar behind, then they can't carb your beer at all. That theory works for wines, but not for beer.

OK so if I want a Honey Ale that has some characteristics of the honey, flavor and richness, do I shoot for a speciffic SG or just wait till the air lock doesnt bubble much?
Thanks. You are both very helpful.

The best way to know if the fermentation is done, is a week or so after you have added the honey check the SG, wait 2 or 3 days and check it again. If the SG is the same both days it is done fermenting, if it has changed the yeasties are still working away. So then check it again in another few days and compare that number to the second reading you got. If change then still fermenting, if no change then it's likely done. Keep doing this until you get a stable SG. This may take a while since honey can be slow to ferment (see: mead).

You will find that your SG readings are a much more accurate way monitor fermentation than trying to go by the number or absence of bubbles in your airlock. Though fun to watch, the bubbles almost mean nothing.

You want it to reach your expected FG AND be stable. It might be a little above or below what it's expected to stop at, but you want it to be stable. Same reading a few days apart.

And if you really want some honey character, use a little honey malt next time. It really works better to impart a honeylike flavor than actual honey. Most of what's in honey just ferments out. The aroma and flavor is pretty delicate and can get lost easily.

+1 to ChshreCat. If you are looking for the honey flavor, honey malt is better way to get it than from actual honey. I use honey malt in a blond ale that I make in the summer and it's really nice. If you want to just add some gravity points, honey would work well, but may take longer to ferment completely than just regular sugar or corn sugar.

Back