Aging question - is 137 years too much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can just see how it went down....

Here you go, only 137 years old, have a sip.

Eh, no thanks, you go ahead...

Ummm.....no Im ok, just try it.....

No seriously, I insist, take a sip....

Here, just tell him its a barleywine and see what he says.....

wait, what do you mean its good? gimme that!

lol. At that old, I'd kinda be nervous to taste it lol. I kind of like the 'roasted pheasant' or whatever it was (partridge?) flavor haha.

I dunno. "Meaty" as a flavor characteristic of beer kinda creeps me out. Everything else sounds good though.

Torchiest said:
I dunno. "Meaty" as a flavor characteristic of beer kinda creeps me out. Everything else sounds good though.

Hehe, you know I came across a recipe for Scrumpy (I think it was) that actually had an addition of...get this....raw ground meat. Ok, I for one like strange foods. In fact I love Steak Tartare. However, fermenting raw meat is just well, wrong. lol.

zoebisch01 said:
Hehe, you know I came across a recipe for Scrumpy (I think it was) that actually had an addition of...get this....raw ground meat. Ok, I for one like strange foods. In fact I love Steak Tartare. However, fermenting raw meat is just well, wrong. lol.

Tis true. I researched recipes for scrumpy. In the olde days the barrels had no lid and it was common for a rat to fall in and drown. These days 1lb of raw meat (does not appear to matter where it comes from) is added instead. I have an apple tree in my back garden and hope to be making scrumpy in a few months. I am not sure about the raw meat though! ...although I did see a rat a couple of weeks ago running along the back fence (big bugger it was too!)

homebrewer_99 said:
What have I been telling you guys about being patient with your brews???? HUH!!! What do you have to say for yourselves now??? :D :D :D :D

I have decided to go with the turtle egg effect. Brew loads and loads of beers. This way some of them will have a chance of aging. (maybe more than 1 in a 100 but we shall see...)

How about Turtle Brewery for a name?

dibby33 said:
I have decided to go with the turtle egg effect. Brew loads and loads of beers. This way some of them will have a chance of aging. (maybe more than 1 in a 100 but we shall see...)

How about Turtle Brewery for a name?

interesting.....very intersting

homebrewer_99 said:
Don't you mean "tortoise"?:D

Turtle : 60-80% of eggs hatch, 1 in 5000 reach maturity.
Tortoise : 80% of eggs hatch, could not find details on % to reach maturity.

1 in 5000 beers reaching aging time. That is better than most here I thinx.

Turtle sounds cuter though :)

dibby33 said:
Tis true. I researched recipes for scrumpy. In the olde days the barrels had no lid and it was common for a rat to fall in and drown. These days 1lb of raw meat (does not appear to matter where it comes from) is added instead. I have an apple tree in my back garden and hope to be making scrumpy in a few months. I am not sure about the raw meat though! ...although I did see a rat a couple of weeks ago running along the back fence (big bugger it was too!)

Hehe. Yeah I used the two apple trees for cider this year (which is happily bottle aging right now). It takes quite a lot of apples though. We are fortunate to have a place that presses apples nearby. I love going there in the fall.

I love the fresh cidr right from the press before they add any preservitives!!! Which they had apples in FL. But hey i can walk out side and get fresh oranges and grapfruit so it isn't to bad.

I like turtle brewery. Just get some one draw up a cool looking turtle drinking some beer.

turtle head brewery hmmm...

Instead of a turtle head poking out, they will have turtle heads foaming out! heh heh.

Back