Overflowing beer science question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjl04002

Reaction score
I bottled an IPA a few weeks ago, and since i dry hopped 5 oz and didn't do a great job of getting the hops out, all my bottles had a layer of hops sitting on the bottom. Now every time I open a bottle, it opens OK but after a few seconds its starts to bubble and eventually i get a steadly flow of bubbles exiting at a steady rate and after the beer is a bit flat. Now I originally though I had an infection, but after staring at the bottle, the hop leaves are going crazy and I was reminded of an experiment I did as a kid when you put raisins in soda and they jump up and down. So I was thinking, similar to mentos and coke,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diet_Coke_and_Mentos_eruption

the hops may cause nucleation sites for dissolved CO2 gas and is causing the hops to flatten the beer and make a mess.
Anyone have thoughts on this?

are you sure its hops and not yeast on the bottom?

make sure the bottles are good and cold before you try and open them.

I know some of it is hops, and some is yeast. As I said, I dry hopped 5 oz of hops and I bottled a bunch of it because i couldn't get it out. In fact i only got 36 12ozs out of a 5 gallon batch because of the hops.

Also the beer is around 45 F.

Also want to add that the beer fermented for a month, and doesn't have any noticeable off tastes, and this is about my 10th batch so I have some feel for the process.

How much sugar did you prime with? Also, depending on your bottling practices its possible that the priming sugar was unevenly dissolved into the beer and some of them got over-carbed.
-Jefe-

I used 1.25 cups of DME with 2 cups water in a 5 gallon batch. I also usually put in the DME and wait ~15+ minutes before bottling. Also I am getting the same effect in every bottle so I would doubt its uneven sugar.

Latest posts

Back