Anyone bottle harvest Rickards White/Blue Moon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antler

Reaction score
Would like to try to grow some yeast for my clone, but worried its a lager yeast used to bottle, anybody tried it?

Not sure about harvesting for those two, but Blue Moon definitely is not a typical Belgian wit yeast. It is much more akin to Wyeast 1056 (US-05), which many people have used with success around here.

\Just in case you decide not to harvest...

khakijoe said:
blue moon is bmc beer

I know that, what does that have to do with harvesting yeast from it?

jeburgdo said:
Not sure about harvesting for those two, but Blue Moon definitely is not a typical Belgian wit yeast. It is much more akin to Wyeast 1056 (US-05), which many people have used with success around here.

\Just in case you decide not to harvest...

I have a batch of red ale with wlp001 next on the list, so if I don't harvest from blue moon I'll pitch it onto the yeast cake of the red ale.

Neither of these have a particularly belgian yeast derived flavour, and neither is bottle conditioned in any case, so I don't see why a lager yeast would be added.

BigRob said:
Neither of these have a particularly belgian yeast derived flavour, and neither is bottle conditioned in any case, so I don't see why a lager yeast would be added.

Thanks. Guess I may be the first to try it.

You'll probably make a more successful clone just by following the various blue moon clone recipes already on HBT. Add less flavouring (orange/coriander) to make the Rickard's clone.

BigRob said:
You'll probably make a more successful clone just by following the various blue moon clone recipes already on HBT. Add less flavouring (orange/coriander) to make the Rickard's clone.

Thanks!

Back