unboiled wort in the fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hume-ulus

Reaction score
Third post today and all of them are regarding my stupidity. A few months ago I did my first all grain batch. 10 lbs pilsen 1 lbs marris otter 1 lbs crystal
I was also bottling at the same time and as luck would have it I had several more than I normally drink, makes life interesting. I boiled and poured it in the fermenter only to realize I was a gallon shy.
I had earlier boiled corn in a pot and had also put my second runnings in this pot. (not really second runnings but left overs............) I in my clarity decided to pour the unboiled wort/corn water with silks into the fermenter. Just then, as if I could hear the Lord calling my name and showing me my sins, I fell to my knees near tears at the thought of five gallons getting some horrible corn born infection. What terror! What horror! What anguish!
Turns out after racking and then finally bottling......... The stuff rocked.
I've made nearly 50 or so batches up till now and this one was by far the best I've ever made. I just thought I'd share..........

Seems like everytime I make one thats really exceptional its always one that I worried over because I did some stupid (or at least questionable) thing to the beer........ Like boiling three ears of corn in the wort. Or adding corn flakes to the secondary. Or using a banana as an airlock...........

Ok so I'm just trying to keep you guys and gals guessing...... I havnt done the corn flake thing but who knows. I could make a whole new prison beer style..........

Chocolate and fruity Pebble Quaker Oat Stout. It could happen..........

Back