HERMS question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzzbromp

Reaction score
I just bought a pump and was planning on trying to use it to recirculate the mash through a copper coil heat exchanger in the hot water tun for the first time. I was planning on draining the runnings a few times first before pushing the mash through the pump. I imagine some grains will still get pushed through. Do you have to worry about damaging the pump from grain impingement?

I have been running a HERMS system just like that and have had no problems with grain damaging/clogging the pump. What type of false bottom are you using in the mash tun?

I normally drain about a quart or two, twice to help it settle then I connect my pump and recirculate. No issues.

Thanks for the replies. I have a typical false bottom. When i sparge and drain to the boil kettle I typically run a pint or two and throw back in to the mash. After that the runnings are pretty clear. I'll do the same before hooking up to the pump. I haven't actually used the system yet. I was just thinking ahead.

Back