Comments?? Weizenbock Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coryforsenate

Reaction score
Wiehensteweizen

Predicted ABV: 8.9%
Predicted IBU's: 10

5 lb White Wheat
5 lb Munich Malt
4 lb Maris Otter
1 lb CaraWheat
.5lb Chocolate Malt

1oz Hallertau pellets at 60min
1oz Hallertau pellets at 20min

Wyeast Weihenstephan Weizen 3068

I just brewed a Weizenbock a few weeks ago.

I think you need over 50% wheat for it to be "to style". I ended doing 50% white wheat and 42.9% munich. Instead of chocolate malt, I used about .25 lb of chocolate wheat malt to get the same effect. I've heard it gives a less bitter finish.

I also fermented mine real low at 63F - not sure what is most optimal, but I wanted more of a clove flavor.

Otherwise, our recipes look pretty similar. Let me know how yours turns out!

i also brewed up one that's still in the primary (4 weeks, i really need to bottle this up). i also added some rye cause i had some chocolate rye that a buddy gave me. i would cut some of the Maris Otter and add more wheat to get at least 50% wheat.

9 lb wheat malt
3 lb munich
2 lb pilsner
1/2 lb chocolate rye
1/2 lb rye malt
1/4 lb carafa I

1 oz perle @ 60 min
90 min boil
Wyeast 3068 fermented @ 66-68 a little warmer than i wanted. wanted 64-66

Recipe modified to fit style.

Wiehensteweizen

6.5 lb White Wheat
4.5 lb Munich Malt
3 lb Maris Otter
1 lb CaraWheat
.5lb Chocolate Wheat Malt

1oz Hallertau pellets at 60min
1oz Hallertau pellets at 20min

Wyeast Weihenstephan Weizen 3068

Did this on Sunday: http://www.dubbeldachs.com/recipes_weizenbock.htm

Question on the original post... Is your system super efficient? Are you doing less than a 5 gallon batch? Because 8.9% off 15.5 lbs of grain compared to my 8.4% off 17.5lbs about... Good for you, if so! I know I'm less than 70% efficiency.

Anyway, mine is rockin' away right now... Good luck with yours!

Did this on Sunday: http://www.dubbeldachs.com/recipes_weizenbock.htm

Question on the original post... Is your system super efficient? Are you doing less than a 5 gallon batch? Because 8.9% off 15.5 lbs of grain compared to my 8.4% off 17.5lbs about... Good for you, if so! I know I'm less than 70% efficiency.

Anyway, mine is rockin' away right now... Good luck with yours!

I typically get 70-75% efficiency. I've found the "secret" is to increase the mashing time at your alpha amylase rest.

Another trick that I think some people neglect is a really slow sparge. If you're not taking at the very least, half an hour per 5 gallons, you're sparging too fast.

Also, six-row malt has nearly double the enzymatic power of most base malts, so if you still have problems, you can replace some of your two-row malt with it. You probably won't notice any taste difference.

I typically get 70-75% efficiency. I've found the "secret" is to increase the mashing time at your alpha amylase rest.

I did this at 151F for 60 mins... Ended up being about 80 mins because I was playing with my daughter. I would have thought that plenty... I also am not familiar with the alpha amylase rest, but I have also never step mashed (if that's where it comes into play). And finally, I know that weizenbocks can benefit from the step mash as not to become cloying... But that's why I chose the lower temp, to dry it up a bit.

Another trick that I think some people neglect is a really slow sparge. If you're not taking at the very least, half an hour per 5 gallons, you're sparging too fast.

I sparge really fast. I batch sparge, and I've heard both sides - fast is good, and slow is good. I open my ball valve about 3/4 of the way and let it drain, then when it starts trickling, I open it up all the way. Hmmm.... The fast way isn't working, so I might try to slow it down.

Also, six-row malt has nearly double the enzymatic power of most base malts, so if you still have problems, you can replace some of your two-row malt with it. You probably won't notice any taste difference.

I was copying a recipe so I used 2 row, but using 6 row makes perfect sense. 2 row, 6 row, Belgian pale or pils... I usually don't notice a difference from the base unless I use Maris Otter, so maybe 6 row will help out.

Thanks for the tips! :mug:

Back