Batch Sparging Volume

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbeerguy

Reaction score
Getting my first All-Grain batch underway today, and I have a quick question about Batch Sparging. My instructions told me to continously sparge until I reached 6.5 Gallons but since I am batch sparging, how much water do I heat up? The same amount as I mash with? (1.25qt/lb)

Or should I heat up more since I am going to have to split boil?

Thanks everyone in advance

How much grain are you mashing?

You can assume that .12 gallons will be absorbed for every pound of malt. IOW, if you have a 10 lb grain bill, you'll have 1.2 gallons absorbed.

In that scenario your mash + sparge + absorption would = 7.7 gallons to get 6.5 gallons in the kettle.

Your grain will absorb about 1 pint per lb, and you will probably have some dead space in the MLT. Assuming you want to collect 6.5g, you will collect about 1.5 pints per lb grain from the mash (less the dead space in the MLT) as first runnings. Subtract that from the 6.5g, and that's approximately how much sparge water you need. I usually add a bit extra just in case.

-a.

I am going to be mashing 10lbs of grain. Now out of that 7.7 gallons, I shouldn't go over 1.25qt/lb in the mash? Or would 1.50qt/lb be ok (to help lautering since my target mash temp is supposed to be 150 degrees.

Mash with whatever ratio floats yer boat....1.5-1.75 qt./lb. would be my choice. After you runoff your mash, just measure how much you get. Subtract that from thee amount you want to start the boil with. The answer you get is how much sparge water to use. Your mash will absorb water, but once that's happened, whatever you put in for the sparge is what you should get out.

Kinda good news....my first all grain under my belt. Just a had few minor issues.

My mash temp came out a little low (146) I was shooting for 150. Just added some hotter water and stired it all in. Then I hit my temp.

I collected 6.25 to 6.5 gallons but my split boil evaporated alot of wort. I only had 4.25 gallons in the carboy....So I added a little water to bring the volume up to 5 gallons. It lowered my gravity from 1.050 to 1.046 but hopefully that will be ok.

Other than that it was a great learning experiance and I absolutly cannot wait to do it again!! This time I am going to get a burner so I can use my keggle....thanks again everyone for their responses.

Back