are old crushed grains usless

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squeekysheep

Reaction score
i forgot i had 2 pounds of pale malt crushed am planning on tossing them but figured i would ask first. they have been crushed for about 2 months and don't taste right.

toss them. the questionable beer they would make would be far more costly than to buy two pounds of fresh grain. when you save up the money go for a Barley Crusher. Then you can choose your time to brew and crush at your own leisure. :mug:

How long do crushed grains last? I ordered some last week and they arrived last Friday. Right now they are stored at room temp. How long will they last like this? And can I make them last longer by putting them in the fridge?

I know people keep crushed grain around longer than 2 months. (not always on purpose) Depending who you bought it from maybe it could have been sitting pre-packed/pre-crushed for a while, and maybe in less than ideal conditions. Cool, dry storage will keep them fresh longer.
Don't wreck your batch over $3 worth of grain.

-OCD

I've kept crushed grains for around 3 months without any problem. I tasted them all before using, some types were better than others but none tasted bad. I second throwing them out if they don't taste good, not worth it. Making a starter is an interesting idea, I guess if you decant the wort off the top before you pitch it wouldn't have any bad effects.

What about if the grain was stored airtight? I have some caravienne that I havn't opened yet but its been about 2 months as well.

Just smell it & taste it. If they don't smell fresh or taste "stale" dump them! FWIW... I've used crushed grains over a year old & had no problem. They were stored cool (65) and sealed in a bag. That being said, I would never use year old crushed grains for all of the base malt.

Back