Vibrating Kettle - Electric Stovetop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slcdawg

Reaction score
Bought a cheap 5 gallon kettle from my LHBS. Don't think it was meant for an electric stove. Here's a [ame="http://youtu.be/MNhh4FSy2xk"]video[/ame] of 1.5 gallons of water at about 150 degrees. It does the same with higher volume. I've never seen a stainless pot, bump like this.

Bought a cheap 5 gallon kettle from my LHBS. Don't think it was meant for an electric stove. Here's a video of 1.5 gallons of water at about 150 degrees. It does the same with higher volume. I've never seen a stainless pot, bump like this.

Tell me you didn't fill it with Mood Slime.

bottom is warping add the movement of the water and you have that....will work fine on a coil burner.. I would NOT use it anymore on the glass top as it can crack the top.

Mine did the same thing. I found if you place it partically on the burner, like 3/4, there is a sweet spot that it will settle down. Then I was given a cheap turkey fryer. It is leaps and bounds better than my electric stove. It also cut nearly an hour off brewing since I can heat up more water faster and better control the temp when i get there. I still use this same pot too. It's trying to tell you to get a burner. :D

Mine did the same thing..I am sure some of the previously mentioned options work too. What I had to do was slowly increase the burner temp because turning it up too quickly causes the pot to warp and then flatten out giving it the shaking you mentioned. Once it got up to temp though it was fine.

I had your problem with my cheap lhbs pot. I then bought a nice pot on amazon. All is fine now.

Yep. I have a glass cooktop. I will see if I can find a link to the pot I bought and post it here.

I bought the "Alpha Heavy Gage 24 quart stainless steel stockpot with glass lid" for $54.99 delivered from amazon.com. It works flawlessly on my glass cooktop with no boil overs.

Back