No starter on a high gravity beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigWreck44

Reaction score
I brewed an extract batch last night with a 1.076 starting gravity. I pitched the yeast (WLP001) without a starter. I aerated well but I know I probably should have done a starter. How worried should I be? What can I do to ensure a correct final gravity? Should I consider pitching more yeast or nutrients?

I wouldn't worry about it. I've done numerous batches using White Labs Yeast Products with O.G.s in the 1.070 to 1.080 range without using a starter. It may take 48+ hours to see active fermentation...but I've never had an issue. I'm fanatical about sanitation but apparently too lazy to make a starter :D

It will be fine, but may stall out and need some reviving, and you will definitely notice a HUGE improvement in your beers when you start pitching the proper amount of yeast.

I've done ok at that gravity. It's when I went over 1.1 that I had problems:eek:

daksin said:
It will be fine, but may stall out and need some reviving, and you will definitely notice a HUGE improvement in your beers when you start pitching the proper amount of yeast.

What exactly? Not trying to be a smart a$$ it's just Iv done a few starters and I'm wondering what HUGE improvements I can expect? Iv read a lot about starters just looking for some real world examples is all.

I just did a cascadia dark ale that was 1.092 OG and just threw in a pack on nottingham. No worries on that one, I had active fermentation within 6 hours and was drastically down in gravity within two days. fI've found with proper airation there doesn't seem to be an issue.

What exactly? Not trying to be a smart a$$ it's just Iv done a few starters and I'm wondering what HUGE improvements I can expect? Iv read a lot about starters just looking for some real world examples is all.

Straight from wyeast:
How Does Pitch Rate Affect My Beer?

Pitch rates make a dramatic difference in the final flavor and aroma profile of any beer. Ester production is directly related to yeast growth as are most other flavor and aroma compounds.

A low pitch rate can lead to:
•Excess levels of diacetyl
•Increase in higher/fusel alcohol formation
•Increase in ester formation
•Increase in volatile sulfur compounds
•High terminal gravities
•Stuck fermentations
•Increased risk of infection

Latest posts

Back