Yeast Starter Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msehler

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So...I made a yeast starter on Thursday night late.
  • Boiled 120gm of light DME with 1.2L of water (I got the ratio from a "yeast starter" thread on here).
  • Flask was sanitized via pouring boiling water in.
  • Poured the "wort" into my flask which was then cooled well below 70 via ice bath.
  • Yeast was wyeast london ale (not for sure the number), which I smacked but it was only out of the fridge and smacked for about an hour before pouring in the starter.
  • Yeast was from March 2011 (over 7 months old).
  • A tin foil cap was used on the flask.

I have seen zero activity...and have swirled it once...but it just looks like the yeast was dumped in and just settled to the bottom. Any ideas? I know that's pretty old for yeast, but I thought I'd at least see SOME kind of activity. I was planning to brew today, but the LHBS is closed and it looks like I'm yeast-less.
If it's of any importance, this is AHS blonde rye AG kit.
I also took a couple pictures with my phone, but don't know where I would upload them.

It may have happened without a Krausen. Many starters behave like that. Does it smell like beer? Take a hydrometer reading to be sure, but usually a smell or taste test works. In addition what is at the bottom might just be the yeast you were looking for. Rarely is the yeast all dead, but that is always possible.

btw - you are better off fermenting the starter warmer than 70F.

I didn't ever see bubbles or anything I normally see in a clear container (I've made one starter before, but don't recall the ratio (it was 2L), and there were a ton of bubbles the second day (of my first starter--not this one) as I put it in the fridge.
Yes, it's since warmed up to ~70*F, I just left it in the ice bath a little long.

So...I walked by today (Tuesday...made the starter last thursday) and it had bubbles on the surface. I still couldn't see any actual bubbles being formed, and it smelled like beer. Can I save this in the fridge for another week and a half?

Week and a half is fine. Right before use pour off most of the liquid, swirl the remainder with the yeast at the bottom and pitch into wort.

No panic...just asking if I need to procure more yeast. And now that I believe the yeasties are up and going, wondering how long it will keep or if I need to refrigerate it.

Back