Final boil volume...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pubwilson

Reaction score
Well tackled my first all grain a week ago tommorow, and the only issue was my final boil volume once cooled and in fermenter was 4 gallons. From this weeks reading I have come to the conclusion that I didn't use enough sparge water. I don't believe that I boiled it too hard, and I should have realized that when I had sparge water to dump out, something was amiss. I believe that I was worried because the running started looking really clear and I feared I was ruining the beer. Well thanks to HBT, my next "first" AG batch should be considerably better and far as procedure goes. :mug:
BTW, it was BM's Cent. Blonde, eff. was about 55-60% and yeasties took off like crazy.

I haven't ever had to worry about over sparging. Unless you are getting extremely high efficiency 90's+ then I would consider this a non issue.

Just sparge until you have the preboil volume you need. For me this is about 8 gallons pre-boil for a 5 gallon batch. This will vary depending on your burner, pot, etc.

Latest posts

Back