Help with dubbel base malts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phasedweasel

Reaction score
I am planning to brew up the Dubbel Jamil presented on his podcast. I know that Pilsener is the preferred base malt for all Belgians, partially because of its higher protein and body component over pale malts. However, among my various LHBSes, none carry a Pilsener malt extract. I have the options of Muntons and American Classic light / pale extracts, are either derived from Pilsener?

Alternatively, I have considered doing a mini-mash (I don't have the equipment for a larger boil than that). The recipe calls for 7.8 lbs of Pilsener LME. How much LME can I replace with how much Pilsener grain, for a 2.5 gallon boil?

I very much appreciate the help getting this recipe together, and I have greatly enjoyed the depths of these forums. I am looking forward to my first homebrewed Belgian in a few months!

First, I'm switching your recipe over to DME since it's much better.

If you can find Extra Light Dry Malt Extract, that will work to replace your pilsner. Otherwise, Light would probably work fine too.

So, after converting the recipe to DME, you'll need....

6.25lbs Extra Light DME

If you want to do a partial mash...

5lbs. Extra Light DME
2lbs. Belgian Pils Malt

Thanks! I think I may try the partial malt with 2lbs Pilsen along with the specialty grains (Special B, CaraMunich and Aromatic) in 1.5 gallons, and sparge with another 1.5 gallons (to hit the 3 total gallons my brew pot will allow). I checked my LHBS prices on malt and it seems to actually be cheaper to go the dried route, so I'm doing that for sure.

Latest posts

Back