Another IPA Critique, but a Bigger One

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taylja06

Reaction score
Edit: Recipe Updated since Original Post

I think (hope) it's a lot more sensible than my last one.

Malt:
8lb Pale Lme
0.5lb Crystal 20
0.5lb Cane Sugar
1.0lb Victory

Hop Schedule (whirfloc @ 15):
1oz Warrior @ 60
2oz Cascade @ 15
1oz Simcoe @ 10
1oz Summit @ 5
1oz Amarillo @ 0
1oz Columbus as dryhop

Yeast:
2 vials Pacific Ale WLP 041
1 vial San Diego Super WLP 090

Estimated Stats:
OG: 1.064
FG: 1.017
ABV: 6.8%
IBU: 75

Critiques?

Drop the c-20 to one pound. Sugar to me says double IPA. If you want to keep it, use half a pound. Hops look good.

I feel like I'm picking on you- but I"m not, I swear!

That recipe is not a bad start, but it's got way too much crystal. I'd cut it down to .5 pound for my taste, but you could go as high as a pound if you love sweeter IPAs.

I don't like warrior as a dryhop, as I'm not wild about the flavor but I love it as a bittering hop. I'd probably reverse the columbus and warrior, or use the warrior for bittering and use the columbus someplace else and use the amarillo for dryhopping.

I was using the sugar to up the alcohol a bit, to give it a bit more heat to go along with the bitter. Does that even make brewing sense? But yeah, I was worried a bit about the crystal.

Well Warrior was an experiment anyway, and I've run beer through randalled Columbus many times, so I could definitely see that switch working. Need to see the IBU switch that will occur though. Crystal will be cut; it honestly just helps to hit the coloring for BJCP and up the alcohol and body a bit. I could use Victory, as I have that now as well.

Edit: Recipe Updated above

Back