wild yeast and bacteria brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Funkychef

Reaction score
I would like to try my first wild lambic style brew.
I have started a wild ferment from fruit off a tree in my yard that was started 3 weeks ago and been stepped up to 1 liter and its has been going for 5 days now and has a good smell spice and fruit and a little sulfur and a slight banana flavor :ban: and the yeast seem to be dropping out and I got around 70% attenuation in the starter. I will let it ride for another week to see if any other bugs kick in to determine how long to bulk age and to make sure it doesn't turn to vinegar.

This is the recipe I have concocted from grains I have around or left over.
wild wheat (Witbier)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.040 (°P): 10.0
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (°P): 3.1
Alcohol (ABV): 3.67 %
Colour (SRM): 3.9 (EBC): 7.7
Bitterness (IBU): 19.7 (Average)

40% Wheat Malt
25% Maris Otter Malt
25% Vienna
10% Munich I

1.1 g/L Hallertau Mittlefrueh (6.3% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 65°C for 90 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 18°C with Wild harvest yeast

Then I was thinking after fermented to rack half onto fruit (wild mulberries or frozen raspberries) and bottle the other half.

any suggestion as what Im doing is right? I have only been brewing for 12 months and the experiment side is more fun than expected.

Maybe step the starter up again,keep it growing and see how it goes on the next phase

I would give it a swirl,chill and decant at least 35%.
Second step,I would do the exact same amount.
By stepping up,and waiting a while, you are reducing the chances of pitching some hell-slime. Also you are growing the microbes to a larger amount. Hoping to out conpete a kill off and unwanted nasties.
Also,you may find that what ever is producing the pellicle will become of "primary fermentor" amount and not slow things down too much.
Got a picture?

Not quite keeping the "bugs" dormant.
More like encouraging the Sacc/Brett and Lacto that are possibly there

Stepped it up again to 1ltr and its exploding! Man its a beast. After this should I be able to use it?

Also what sort of grain bill? Something simple 50% base malt and 50% wheat?

I would go 35% each pils and vienna,30% wheat.
Have a look when it starts to flocc out.
If you have a decent size cake of yeast/bugs,then go for it.
You going to give us pics with the update?

Back