Dishwasher + C-brite?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopin-Josh

Reaction score
It looks like searching around here that a dishwasher without a sanitize setting is not the best method for being 100% on sanitation. What if I added some C-Brite to the dishwasher would this help on killing the nasties or could it impart some off chlorine flavors to the beer?

Thanks, this form is extremely helpful to the newbs! :mug:

You really need two steps: 1) cleaning and 2) sanitizing

There are many, many ways to do both, but I think it is wise to do these in two distinct steps.

The method you are describing sounds like what you are looking for in a sanitizing step, and it would probably work. But, before you do it, you've got to figure out how you are going to get the bottles clean first. Basically, you can't sanitize a dirty bottle.

With the caveat that there are many practices and approaches to bottle cleaning and sanitizing, here's what I do:

1. Cleaning - I either put the bottles through the dishwasher with some oxyclean or soak them in my big utility sink with oxyclean (and then rinse them well).

2. Sanitize - I use a Vinator (Wine Making Supplies - Beer Making Supplies - Winemaking Supplys - Homebrewing - Homebrew Supplyand a bottle tree, with an idophor solution. For a very modest investment, the Vinator and bottle tree really make sanitizing (and hence bottling) a breeze. On bottling day, I sanitize, hang on the bottle tree, and go straight to bottling.

Cheers! :mug:

Jim

I used to do that years ago, when I bottled.

You will wind up with the WHITEST dishwasher ever! SWMBO will love it.

I use the dishwasher to clean and I put OxyClean in the washer to clean them first. Then I put a little One Step and use the sanitize mode on the dishwasher and use the door of the dishwasher to bottle on and it keeps the mess all contained. I know some say it isn't sanitizing the bottles, but I can't see the difference between dunking them in sanitizer and hanging on a rack & having three spraying arms spray sanitizer on them and dry them with high heat.

I DO THAT,but im kinda new.I am on my 6th 5 gal batch.My bottles were rinsed out right after i drank them(the new ones)I rinsed them out real good,sometimes with dish soap.One by one i filled the dish washer when it was full i put some c-bright in the dishwasher and ran it on low energy /quick wash with heated dry.Mine come out crystal clear ,grolsch ,guiness ,harpoonand micro brew bottles are what i use.If i salvaged bottles from a bar,recycle bin oron the side of the road i would saok them in c-bright and hit them with a bottle brush ,and rinse extra hot.

Some people will literally cook their bottles in an oven. I'm more of a "run through the dishwasher cycle on sanitize/high heat, THEN dunk them in star-san immediately before filling (no drying, no rinsing)" sort-of-guy.

I use a Vinator/Sulfiter with StarSan it gets foamy, but at least I know it is getting done.

Sanitize - I use a Vinator (Wine Making Supplies - Beer Making Supplies - Winemaking Supplys - Homebrewing - Homebrew Supplyand a bottle tree, with an idophor solution. For a very modest investment, the Vinator and bottle tree really make sanitizing (and hence bottling) a breeze. On bottling day, I sanitize, hang on the bottle tree, and go straight to bottling.

Cheers! :mug:

Jim

+1 on the Vinator.

I use the dishwasher as an easy way to clean the bottles on the outside - and run the high heat - cause it sure can't hurt - but on bottling days, I simply set the empty bottles up on the counter, then I put some iodophor in the Vinator, and then just do an assembly line. Sanitize each bottle on the inside with the Vinator & place in the empty dishwasher rack upside down to dry. Then I just use the dishwasher rack as my supply while I'm filling each bottle. It makes for a pretty simple process for me.

Some people will literally cook their bottles in an oven. I'm more of a "run through the dishwasher cycle on sanitize/high heat, THEN dunk them in star-san immediately before filling (no drying, no rinsing)" sort-of-guy.

I'm one of those "oven guys". Using the oven has several advantages for sanitizing already clean bottles.

For the record, I sanitize my bottles days before by cooking in an oven for one hour at 400 degrees F. They get cooked with tight fitting aluminum foil caps, so that the bottles stay sterile long after they've cooled. I reuse the little foil caps over and over.

1. No sanitizer required.
2. More economical than running the dishwasher, then using a sanitizer. ( I suspect)
3. Bottles come out actually sterile, not just sanitized.
4. The bottles *stay* sanitized until you need them. It takes a lot of the frenzy out of bottling day.

I've never had a problem.

Thanks for all the advice! I can't tell you how great this forum is. So many other forums trash new guys with, "Stupid Questions."

Thank you! Hopefully one step closer to...

:cross:

I'm one of those "oven guys". Using the oven has several advantages for sanitizing already clean bottles.

For the record, I sanitize my bottles days before by cooking in an oven for one hour at 400 degrees F. They get cooked with tight fitting aluminum foil caps, so that the bottles stay sterile long after they've cooled. I reuse the little foil caps over and over.

1. No sanitizer required.
2. More economical than running the dishwasher, then using a sanitizer. ( I suspect)
3. Bottles come out actually sterile, not just sanitized.
4. The bottles *stay* sanitized until you need them. It takes a lot of the frenzy out of bottling day.

I've never had a problem.

You might want to go outside and check you electric meter while you run the oven for an hour at 400 and then reconsider your statements.

1. Sterile is not required. Sanitized is.
2. Not more economical than running the dishwasher.
3. See #1.
4. First they were sterile, now they are only sanitized and that takes the "frenzy" out. meh.

If your bottles are rinsed clean a simple dishwashing with the heat cycle will give you 100% problem free bottling and the bottle rack is built in. I always put in a tablespoon of bleach in the wash just to be sure.

Never had a problem.

Hopin-Josh, you will find that more times than not I take to task the widom on the forums that is just plain overkill. You read and you decide.

You might want to go outside and check you electric meter while you run the oven for an hour at 400 and then reconsider your statements.

1. Sterile is not required. Sanitized is.
2. Not more economical than running the dishwasher.
3. See #1.
4. First they were sterile, now they are only sanitized and that takes the "frenzy" out. meh.

Hopin-Josh, you will find that more times than not I take to task the widom on the forums that is just plain overkill. You read and you decide.

Like I said, I'd have to confirm the economy part - though you should remember that you're expending a considerable amount of energy heating the water for the dishwasher, if you use the hot setting. And of course I know sterile isn't required. I think you missed the real point, though. The real benefit with the oven method is the fact that you can prepare cleaned and sanitized bottles days in advance, and not worry that they'll get contaminated somehow before you bottle.

Anyway, I think everyone should try it both ways and decide for themselves

For those of you using OxyClean or C-Brite in the dishwasher, how much do you put in? We have the powdered OxyClean original at home, but I wasn't sure if it was safe to use on food items. Do you just fill up the detergent hopper like normal?

Latest posts

Back