Pitching rate for small batches?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdubb75

Reaction score
I've searched a bit on this and didn't really come up with much. I guess I'm going to have to upgrade my membership to get the advanced search functionality.

In the meantime, for those of you that do small test batches, how are you coming up with pitching rates? I have Beer Smith, and what I have been doing is designing 5 gallon recipes and then just scaling them for a 1 gallon test batch. I now have a couple recipes created that I'm feeling pretty good about and would like to brew, but am unsure about how to properly pitch for such a small amount.

I have a couple options as far as yeast goes. Both recipes are IPA's with SG's in the 1.056-1.068 range, and I was leaning on using WLP-051 for both. I don't currently have any and would have to buy a vial. Would splitting the vial between two 1 gallon (moderate gravity) brews be about right?

Another option is re-using some WLP-007 that I currently have 5 gallons of Arrogant Bastard knock off setting on. I most likely won't go this route as I think the 007 will finish out too dry for the IPA's I'm trying to create, but it begs the question that if I did want to re-use some yeast for these small batches, how could I confidently measure the amount required?

Sorry for the long winded questions, but I can't really find the answers I'm looking for. Does anyone have any experience in this area?

Well duh...thanks for that. I've played around with Mr. Malty before, but it's been awhile and I completely forgot about it. :eek:

it's a great resource. i keep it on a tab in on my desktop at all times for easy reference. i use the iPhone app for pitch rates most of the time, but the site is really useful too.

Latest posts

Back