New job (sort of)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've posted before that I love my job and now I'm working at home. I'm the Lifeline Program Manager for our rural hospital. It's very few hours, but it's flexible and I enjoy it. Well, now our hospital is undergoing renovation, so I'm at home with my desk.

Because of the construction, though, the main entrance will be closed. So, we'll have all traffic come through our ER. Because of the confusion, they have asked some of us (who have less working hours than desired) to be out there directing and helping people entering the hospital. I call it my "Wal-Mart greeter" job. They are paying me my regular wage to do this, too. I start training in it today, and then will do it to fill in my hours for the months (years?) to come.

I've worked there for almost 25 years, in almost all of the departments (never xray or the kitchen, though), so I know my way around! I'm excited about it! But I might be online a little less. :D

Sounds like you'll get a kick out of the change, Yoop! Enjoy it and be glad it's during the warmer months (for now...)

:)

Well, today was a quick introduction to the duties. It sounds like alot of fun. I'm taking a long vacation in June, though (NHBC!) so I can only work about 4 days until the middle of July! Still, it should be a fun job. There are probably going to offer it permanently in some capacity after the construction finishes next year, but I'm not interested in that.

I made a joke about being a Wal-mart greeter, just better paid. Of course, there are some very light medical duties involved, too, such as some patient assessment. Pretty much at the basic EMT level, though, nothing too in depth. Since I've been an EMT-S for more than 20 years, I can handle it. Most of the duties will be simply providing directions and information, though.

I've worked retail service for 20+ years and with the personality you have here you should have a blast. I'll tell you 98% of the time you'll be able to tell who you can joke with and who you can't. They will enjoy the laugh:D

So much for the brewing while you work plan but I bet you will be great in that job. I know you will enjoy doing it and the extra cash can't hurt.
Now don't be too much of a stranger around here!!!

I made a joke about being a Wal-mart greeter, just better paid. Of course, there are some very light medical duties involved, too, such as some patient assessment. Pretty much at the basic EMT level, though, nothing too in depth. Since I've been an EMT-S for more than 20 years, I can handle it. Most of the duties will be simply providing directions and information, though.

I can tell you as somebody who has taken his kid through the doors of the ER a couple of times, a knowledgeable and cool-headed triage person would make a world of difference. Even if it is on an informal basis, somebody with your training could make the nightmarish headbutting against the wall of bureaucracy work a little more smoothly.

As an example, my 13-year old decided to get a head start on a science project, despite being asked to wait for me. He tried to cut some vinyl tubing. Rather than use a utility knife or one of the very sharp knives I keep on hand (see signature for details), he decided to use a POS knife I use only for breaking down boxes. Of course he had to apply a lot more pressure, resulting in the knife slipping and slicing through his thumb.

Once we got to the ER, we had to wait while this whiny suburban mom in a wheelchair tried to explain that "yes, she thought she'd been to this hospital before" and could they possibly try her other hyphenated last name. So as the desk clerk attempted yet another spelling of Merriwether-Honeydew, my son was gushing blood onto the floor. Then she went on to detail the agony of her pulled hamstring from the company softball game. All the while her kids are watching my kid turn white from blood loss. After a reasonable period of putting up with this **** I pulled the desk clerk from his seat, leading the nearby cop to get up out of his seat and head my way, and explained that bleeding kid beat hamstrung fat mom and could he please call us a nurse NOW.

Eighteen stitches later the nurse was still apologizing for the front desk. In their defense it is a very new ER, so the staff isn't fully trained. But I can tell you that I would have dropped to my knees in thanks for someone like you at the front door. It may seem trivial to someone of your experience, but it makes a world of difference to the rest of us.

Chad

Back