Thar she blows!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grüner Brauer

Reaction score
I brewed a wee heavy last night, 24 hrs later its vigorously fermenting. problem: there is a tremendous amount of pressure built up in my ale pail with blow off tube. It seem like the pressure will eventually blow the lid off, i keep venting it to relieve pressure, but i gotta go to bed soon. should i look forward to a mess in the morning?, if so will the beer be infected?

its not plugged, but its actually a siphon tube put into the airlock hole. there is a lot of foam and trub flowing through.

Try cleaning out the tube then reattaching it but try to suspend the tube above the krausen if possible.

Try to use a bigger tube that a siphon tube for your blow off. I know that a 1" poly tube fits very well into the neck of a 6.5 gallon glass carboy. It might fit just as well into the hole in the lid of a plastic bucket.

thanks guys, i put 2 10lb weights on the lid and went to bed. the worst (or best) was over by morning. i cleaned up the top of the pail and went back to the airlock. man that wyeast #1728 is some strong stuff

Back