Orange juice vs. Orange peel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ranman481

Reaction score
So, I have it in my mind to do a spin on a Blue Moon type beer except I really want to use blood oranges not only for the really cool color but also the natural sweetness they have. I know that most often you would use orange peel but that isn't the same thing in this case. Is it possible to add pre-boiled fresh blood orange juice to my secondary or will the addition of fresh citric acid like this effect the yeast? Has anyone done a blood orange ale??

I've neve done it myself, but I believe citrus juices do not ferment well, and leave unpleasant flavors. Maybe someone with expeience can provide some input.

I may be wrong, I have never added citus juice. I only use the zest.

I tried to ferment an orange juice/pineapple juice cider thing a while back... It did not go well. After almost a year (I saved some after my initial attempted taste bud murder, you know, for science..) there was still a wicked orange juice flavor to it. And not in the good family way either.

That being said, I fully support your adventure, just use caution. I don't remember the exact amount i added, but it wasn't a whole lot. If you have the capabilities you could do a few test batches, or (what I would do) pull off some fermented beer sans OJ and add the oj a bit at a time until you get the flavor you want. The color might not be perfect though. After you have a ratio of beer to juice you can scale it up to the whole batch and everything *should* be all right.

If you are looking for a nice red color, there are plenty of red malts that could help you out so you don't have to go through this trial and error. You could add some honey malt for residual sweetness, and then the blood orange peel for the citrusy feel along with the citrus hops (cascade and the like...).

I hope your beer comes out better than my cider... I still can't bring myself to drink the other bottles... 2.5 years later!

Orange juice...no. orange peel or orange extract...yes. Thats is what I have found out in my experiences.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Home Brew mobile app

I threw in the flesh and zest of 5 mandarins in a pale ale a few batches ago and I thought it turned out great. I did put it in at the end of the boil so fermentation drove off most of the flavor/aroma but it still had just a hint of the citrus. I would make it again and maybe try adding the flesh/zest and do a secondary. My vote is to give it a shot. We just went through a few lbs of blood oranges and the same thought crossed my mind.

Just dumped a mulled cider that had orange juice in it (didn't read ingredients). Tasted like sweaty ass (don't ask)...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back