Any suggestions for a good BIAB Oatmeal stout recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cotillion

Reaction score
Having trouble figuring out what needs to be different from all the standard AG recipes I see. I am going for my first batch of BIAB method, and I have been meaning to use up some oatmeal I got at Costco. Maybe some maple syrup thrown in there too?

Could not find anything on BIABbrewer, and I have never been able to figure out those really in-depth calculators.

Going for a 5-5.5 gallon batch here. I have a 8.75 gallon kettle and I am unsure as to whether I will do a little sparge rinse after mash.

Anyone know of any good basic recipes that take BIAB into account? I obviously don't want someone to make a recipe for me - but any pointers, tips or base recipes to work with for a first time BIABer would be wonderful.

Thanks!

Thanks for the response. Since this is my first time on this equipment, I don't know my efficiency. I take it to mean that I should assume a slight loss and add a few oz more grain? Would this possibly be accounted for by the fact that I am considering adding maple syrup, which should increase fermentable sugars?

If i were you (adding maple syrup and with no known efficiency) then I would assume 70% efficiency. I would also use brewing software to try to match ABV and IBU so you have a balanced beer. Also use the software (assuming 70% eff) to determine the amount of maple syrup needed to match the original gravity in the recipe.
HOWEVER, since this is your first BIAB, maybe you should keep it simple and stick to the recipe? Perhaps a smaller grain bill would be better for a first BIAB. I do not doubt your abilities, but it takes several batches to get the method down and a big grain bill and high ABV beer can sometimes be daunting.

Will you be crushing your own grain or getting it crushed at the LHBS? If using the standard LHBS crush you should plan for 60 to 70% efficiency. If you do your own and crush/grind it fine, your efficiency is likely to be nearer to 80%.

The main differences between conventional AG and BIAB are the amount of water for the mash (full volume for BIAB), the bag, and how fine you can have the grain crushed. The rest of the process is pretty much the same except for the sparge and you can reduce the volume for BIAB and sparge if you want to. When I do that my efficiency goes up a little.

Thanks you both for these responses.

It seems pretty clear that I need to embrace some sort of program or software - is there a good one that is free? Also, please do doubt my abilities, because at this point they are rudimentary at best ha.

I don't really see much reason not to do a small sparge, especially if it gives me some flexibility. I will be getting grain at my HBS - maybe I can get them to double mill it?

Is the maple syrup a bad idea? I am unsure about using a coffee recipe. If there are no super important differences when converting a traditional AG to BIAB, I'm sure I can just find an oatmeal porter recipe that is a bit more basic. Is it pretty much a direct translation instead of a real conversion?

There are certain differences between BIAB and using a standard cooler type mash tun, but your recipe(i.e. the amount and percentage of grains and hops) should be the same.

Latest posts

Back