bourbon oak whiskey brown ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrWhleDr

Reaction score
SO I brewed a brown ale and plan on adding oak chips soaked in whiskey but am not sure if the whiskey will affect bottle priming. The OG was 1048 so I dont want to over power the malt or kill the yeast, but want a well balanced whiskey oak backing. My plan is to primary for 5 days and rack to a secondary with the 3 oz.oak chips and 4oz. whiskey awaiting. This should be fine. I am concerned with killing the yeast that will prime the bottled product. Will the whiskey be to much and kill the yeast. I know there are options such as adding yeast during bottling but have not practiced this before and would prefer not for no particular reason. Should I just add a dry pack during bottling and prime as usual, (1.8v/co2 Ya I like cask ale) is there another measure to take, or should I even worry at all? I am excited for this brew because it is unique to the common style I brew and dont want to ruin it. Let me know what you suggest. Thanks.

The alcohol added by 4 oz of 40% ABV bourbon in 5 gallons of 5% beer is negligible (~.25%), your yeast will be fine. 3 oz of oak is a lot in a light beer, I might back it down to 2 oz. Good luck.

Back