Questions about pure mead.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thorsr

Reaction score
Hey guys
I´m thinking of doing a pure - no fruit or spice - mead. I bought 500mL of Cashew honey (darker, stronger and more acid. very tasty), eucalyptus (kind of like wildflower) and apple (acid, fruity, clear and light), and thought about mixing the 3 to make a 4-5L batch. Is that good? Do you have any tips about this kind of mead?. Also, if I want it dry, what should be the proportions of honey and water.

straightforward honey mead is pretty easy to make. I'd probably not use the eucalyptus in it however...I haven't used it myself..but I've heard and read that eucalyptus taste like "$h1T" in a mead.

Dan

Hey guys
I´m thinking of doing a pure - no fruit or spice - mead. I bought 500mL of Cashew honey (darker, stronger and more acid. very tasty), eucalyptus (kind of like wildflower) and apple (acid, fruity, clear and light), and thought about mixing the 3 to make a 4-5L batch. Is that good? Do you have any tips about this kind of mead?. Also, if I want it dry, what should be the proportions of honey and water.

Dry meads usually use 2-2.5 Pounds of honey per gallon of must. 2#/gal will ensure a dry mead with most yeast at 2.5 many yeast may leave this off dry or semi-sweet. That is 240g/l to 300g/l for those who use metric.

I think a base of Apple honey with a smaller amount of Cashew honey sounds like it would make an interesting mead. I too have heard of bad results from eucalyptus honey in mead. However others have had luck. It may depend on the honey as it varies significantly from location to location and year to year.

Craig

Hey guys
These are honey varieties not often seen (or used).

As "taste" is such a subjective sense, it might be prudent to try making a small individual batches, and then use your own preferences as to how they might be used together.

Although I have not used any of the varieties you've mentioned, I have read that eucalyptus honey can produce quite an "odd" tasting mead.

BTW, a "plain" mead is more commonly known as a traditional mead... ;)

thanks guys. I´m definetly keeping that eucalyptus honey for kitchen use only. I´ll let you know when it´s ready then.

Back