Pumpkin Ales -- Don't care for Pumking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baron

Reaction score
I think Southern Tier makes some really good brews -- but, for some reason, I really don't like Pumking.

Not sure if it is the yeast they use or spices, but it has a "bubble gum" taste to me.

Seems like everytime I go to brewpub and they have it on tap -- the waitress/waiter always recommend Pumking.

My favorite commercial pumpkin ales are:
Wyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin Ale
Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin
Dog Fish Head Punkin Ale

Anyone else agree with Pumking or is just me? Ha!

Rick

I don't get Bubblegum at all. But it's definitely more "spicy" than other pumpkin beers. I prefer Weyerbacher's to all others though. Pumpking is probably in the top 3 for me.

Ugh, I can't stand Pumpking. Tastes like potpourri to me. I have made Yuri's Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale a few times...I highly recommend it. It's my wife's #1 favorite beer of all time, homebrew or commercial. Not an overpowering pumpkin or spice taste, just enough to make you know that it's pumpkin.

After hearing so many good things about Pumking I decided to try it. I found it to be undrinkable. It tasted like someone poured a whole damn jar of pumpkin spice into one bottle of beer. That turd went right down the drain..

Pumking is def my favorite of the pumpkin beers. To me it has the best consistent flavor of the proper pumpkin spices and isn't watered down. Others that i also enjoy are elysian night owl, brooklyn post road and schlafly pumpkin ale. Those are also solid. Cheers!

I've tried quite a few by now (including Pumking) and decided that pumpkin ales aren't my thing. Most come across as really overspiced, and some (like Blue Moon's) have such a thick mouthfeel that one bottle leaves me feeling full.

Pumking impresses me more than others in that they've pretty much nailed the taste of pumpkin pie--even the crust!--but they need to tone down the nutmeg.

have not tried pumking, but the saint arnold pumpkinator was overtly sweet, and I could not finish the whole bottle in one go...

A few more i can recommend are fegleys devious imperial pumpkin and ithaca country pumpkin. Both have the strong pumpkin spice notes but are not too sweet and are drinkable even if your not a spice or pumpkin fan.

Had a Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin last night while cooking burgers on the grill.
Quite tasty!

I tried about 4-6 pumpkin beers this year (bottled and tapped) which I disliked all but the Pumking. I mentioned in another thread that I was given a full 1/2 keg of it for free (story in another thread) sometime after I had tried it by just chance.

It does have a fairly strong pumpkin pie taste but I did not feel it overpowering though I would state the flavor is nowhere near 'slight'. I find it extremely drinkable as opposed to some others which I could only drink one glass before I would be done for the year. If you don't like pumpkin pie or pumpkins in general then this is definitely not for you.

If you're in PA, DE, D.C., or NJ you guys should check out Saucony Creek Maple Mistress! It's up there with Punkin in my opinion.

Tried Pumpking, tasted like a batch of beer gone wrong WITH pumpkin and spices added, mixed with puke.

I decided I would never try a pumpkin beer again. In fact, beers with spices tend not to sit well on my tongue.

Back