Shipping beer to another state

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amishbrewing

Reaction score
I live in PA and all my friends live in WA. I want to ship them a few of my beers. IS this illegal, or can it be done without getting beer distributors involved?

Amishbrewing said:
I live in PA and all my friends live in WA. I want to ship them a few of my beers. IS this illegal, or can it be done without getting beer distributors involved?

It's only illegal if you get caught.

People ship beer all the time for competitions. You can gift your beer, if you profit from it Uncle Sam wants a price. So your good- ship away. One note I don't think you can ship alcohol wis USPS.

No the USPS will not do it. I googled it and one way is to send it from a beer distributor that has a contract with Fed-Ex or U.P.S. Will talk to a distributor tomorrow that also is a homebrew supplier. Thanks

Shipping alcohol via USPS is illegal, however it only violates the terms of service with FedEx and UPS. Pack them really well, ship them UPS, and don't tell them what's inside. Homebrewers ship out beers every day to competitions. The AHA has a page with tips on how to pack and ship your beers for competition.

There is a chance you can legally have a winery package and ship it for you, some laws may differ by state, but in most cases it just need to be done by someone with a liquor/dist license.

Latest posts

Back