Discussion of Heater elements?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

achilles007

Reaction score
Hi guys-- I am trying to decide on what type of water heater elements I should use.

A little bit of background info:

1. My water bath vessel is a Brute rubbermaid trash can-- 32 gallon

2. I would like to set up something similar to a electric HLT-- except just consisting of the heating elements, and a draining valve with the elements controlled by a PID and nothing else. Simple set-up.

Now I have done my calculations and have found that two 4500 watt elements or higher (thinking about 6000) would be the perfect range in giving me precisely what i want.

Now HERE is my question(s):

Lately I've been hearing problems about houses not being able to take on that much load or something? along with brief references to GFCI breakers?
Can someone go into depth on this discussion?
Could I be okay with two 6000 watt elements? What safety precautions would I need in order to go about this?

thanks

How much water do you plan on heating at a time?
I have an 11g HLT with a 4500W element, which is fine for brewing 10g batches. 10 gallons heats up to 190F in less than an hour.

To run two 6000W elements, you'd need two 50A breakers, so 100A total. Whether your house can handle that depends on your service.

First, this has been discussed excessively already on this board. You need to do a search yourself. But here, Let Me Google That For You: http://tinyurl.com/y7lp8q7

Second, you are going to hurt yourself. 12kW? Really? You are going to stand next to a rubber trash can with 32 gallons of scalding water and 2 6kW elements embedded into the side of it? This sounds like a fundamentally bad idea.

How much water do you plan on heating at a time?
I have an 11g HLT with a 4500W element, which is fine for brewing 10g batches. 10 gallons heats up to 190F in less than an hour.

To run two 6000W elements, you'd need two 50A breakers, so 100A total. Whether your house can handle that depends on your service.

I PLANNEd on heating 40 gallons, and wanted the luxury of being able to heat either at the slowest point of 2 degrees per 5 minutes AND at its highest point of 2 degrees per minute whenever I need the hot water FAST.

Bit I'm starting to rethink my outlook and I'll think I'll just opt for the 6000 watt element and go for a high point of only 1 degree per minute... eh.. as much as I hate waiting an hour for my water/milk to get to 60 degrees in an hour-- I think it can suffice. I'll be okay

Thanks for the advice on the breakers.
But why 100 A, if one 6000 watt 240 VAC element only needs 25 in and of itself?
Wouldnt one 50 A breaker be enough?

Second, you are going to hurt yourself. 12kW? Really? You are going to stand next to a rubber trash can with 32 gallons of scalding water and 2 6kW elements embedded into the side of it? This sounds like a fundamentally bad idea.

True.

I've modified my idea-- I will be going with a 55 gallon steel drum.

and will work with the one 6000 watt element instead of the two.

First, this has been discussed excessively already on this board. You need to do a search yourself. But here, Let Me Google That For You: http://tinyurl.com/y7lp8q7

Yeah-- I know. I tried searching-- but all I saw was dialogue of know-how that was clearly over my head. I have yet to see a post truly breaking down a lot of this stuff. It's almost as if people assume that we all have backgrounds in dealing with electricity and terms like "panels" and "breakers" are supposed to naturally fall in our laps and automatically make sense.

Latest posts

Back