Reusing a Ringwood yeast cake for an Imperial Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyc

Reaction score
So I'm racking a DFH 60 clone to a secondary before I dry hop it and was thinking of reusing the yeast for an Imperial Ale. Obviously there were a lot of hops (pellets) during the boil but I racked into the primary (a carboy)and used a strainer funnel (which was awesome for aeration btw)so I doubt much got into the primary. How close are the yeasts or rather how much would using the Ringwood change the taste? Also how much would pitching on the yeast cake differ from a new vial (Too lazy to clean the yeast plus I don't have the mason jars or other smaller storage devices.)

Ok so here are the recipes.

The DFH 60 was a 6 gallon boil
6oz British amber
7# Extra Light DME 75min
1/2 Magnum (Couldn't get Warrior at LHBS)
1/2 Simcoe
1/2 Amarillo
All of the above gradually over 60 min
1/2 Amarillo end of boil
Yeast: 1187 Ringwood Ale
1 Amarillo
1/2 Simcoe
Above after 7 days
OG 1.064
FG 1.017
ABV 6.0%

The Imperial Ale
4 1/2 Gallon boil
1# Lovibond Crystal malt
2 tsp gypsum
8#pale LME 65min
1.5 Centennial 60min
1 Cascade 10min
Yeast Wyeast 1056 or 1272 OR White Labs WLP001 WLP051
.5# Light brown sugar (2 days)
OG 1.075
FG 1.014
ABV 8.5%

You will be doing your beer a disservice repitching that cake. The OG for your initial beer is too high. Your yeast are pooped out and unhealthy after fermenting that high a gravity of beer and are in no condition to tackle an even higher one. You would be better off making an appropriate starter from the cake or pitching 2-3 vials of fresh yeast. Also the Ringwood produces fruity esters and flavour characteristics markedly different form the clean fermenting 1056.

GT

You will be doing your beer a disservice repitching that cake. The OG for your initial beer is too high. Your yeast are pooped out and unhealthy after fermenting that high a gravity of beer and are in no condition to tackle an even higher one. You would be better off making an appropriate starter from the cake or pitching 2-3 vials of fresh yeast. Also the Ringwood produces fruity esters and flavour characteristics markedly different form the clean fermenting 1056.

GT

So how would a dry US05 or an S04 compare? I'm kinda cheap...

I have heard that US05 is the same strain as 1056. I use it a lot for IPA and IIPA type beers and am very happy with it.

The S-04 has a higher alcohol tolerance and since I'm shooting for 9%ish I wonder if it'd be even better than US-05. Thoughts?

Back