New kegging system from homebrewing.org

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hexmonkey

Reaction score
I just bought and setup my first kegging system, which I decided to buy from Adventures in Homebrewing, primarily for the price. This post is to show what I got and how well (or not-so-well) it's working.

I purchased the Homebrew Kegging System with the $20 4-pound CO2 tanks and the $5 threaded disconnects upgrades, which bumped the price up from $79 to $122.50 after $18.50 shipping. From what I can tell trying to piece together a system, this is a pretty good deal for the price.

The order was shipped on 9-26 and I received it on 9-30.

The keg included was a used Firestone Challenger IV ball-lock keg. It was clean with no stickers or residue on the outside, was pressurized when I got it, and was clean inside. It had a pretty bad dent on the IN post, which made it impossible to remove the post o-ring and caused the disconnect to leak in certain positions. I emailed the company with a photo and they apologized and said they're sending a new post. (this was on 10-1, it's now 10/6, so I'll update when I get it...) I did replace the o-rings which were, predictably for a keg sold as 'used', broken-down and crusted with pepsi syrup. The keg was in pretty good shape otherwise, with no significant dents - I'll post a photo here soon.

The tank and two-gauge regulator, though generic, were in brand-new shape and seem to work fine. The guy who filled the tank (Houser Welding Supply in Somerville, NJ) said it was a new tank, tested in the last 6 months. It's a steel tank, and is significantly taller and narrower than the 5-pound aluminum tank he showed me in comparison.

I need to take a photo of the hoses, but the gas line is about 4-5 feet, the kind of line that's stiff with reinforcing threads in it, and the beer line is probably 3/16" ID and about 2-3 feet long.

The tank and two-gauge regulator:
IMG_0756.JPG

The regulator dials:
IMG_0755.JPG
IMG_0754.JPG

I would have gone with the 10# CO2 tank, my local gas distributor doesn't stock 4lb tanks and I think almost all those places are looking to swap rather than refill tanks on the spot. Hopefully this wont be an issue for you

yes just un screw the old one and put a little tread tape on the now one and screw it in

Latest posts

Back