Yeast Activator ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonzo_911

Reaction score
I've got some liquid yeast (California Ale Yeast) that's past its best before date by six months. It reccomends starting 1-2 pint activator that calls for DME and yeast nutrients. I live in the middle of ass knowhere and don't have access to a brew store. How can I get this yeast up and running if I want to brew tomorrow?

Any help would be most welcome.

Cheers!

For a yeast that's that far out of date, assuming that you've kept it cold for that time, you'll need a starter to get your yeast active and healthy again. It would be best to pitch it into a well aerated starter and give it some time to regain its health. If you have any extract around, that is the easiest way to do it. Yeast nutrients help, but are not a necessity.

If you've got no extract, I've heard of people doing a micro-mash to get a quart or so of wort using grain. This seems to be a lot of work, but it may be desperate times...

If you pitch that yeast the way it is, you could have good beer, but it 's most likely that the yeast will be unhealthy and as such, would make some unhealthy flavors in your beer and it would take a while to do it which increases your risk for bad things.

If you are using an extact recipe, go ahead and use some of the extract from what you are planning to use tomorrow. You will just add it to you cooled wort when you pitch the yeast. Yeast nutrients are not absolutely needed. Pick up a bottle next time you get supplies, cheap.

Back