A couple of questions about this double ipa recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebamaking

Reaction score
So this is the recipe i have decided on for my first double ipa attempt...

Partial Mash Double IPA Recipe

4 lb. 2 row malt
1 lb. vienna
1 lb. crystal 40L
1 lb. crystal 60L

steep for 45 minutes at 140 degrees, do a ghetto sparge (using a strainer)

4 lb. light lme
2 lb. amber lme

1 oz of chinook at start of boil
1 oz of cascade at 15 minutes
1 oz of centennial at 30 minutes
1 teaspoon of irish moss at last 15 minutes
Yeast Fuel at last 10 minutes
1 oz of centennial at last 5 minutes

i plan on extensively dry hopping this...

my questions are...what yeast strain would yall recommend for this brew? i was thinking california ale but i dont know what yall think...should i double pitch for this one? can anyone with software calculate around how many ibu's and what the abv will be around? thanks for any help...

can anyone with software calculate around how many ibu's and what the abv will be around? thanks for any help...

This comes out to amost 1.080 OG (assuming 75% efficency on your mash) and the IBUs are off the human-detectable chart, sitting at about 133.

I don't know about the ABV. It's going to depend on how well it ferments, but that gravity is high enough that I would probably double-pitch dry yeast or make a starter a few days in advance.

edit: I used ProMash and the default AA ratings for the hop varieties. You could get more or less IBUs from your specific hops, but it'll probably still be over 100 IBUs and not really detectable.

i appreciate it yall...i mean i would certainly take input on the recipe...i know it would be extremly hoppy but thats sort of what im shooting for...

1. I'd ditch the amber LME and try to get all my grain character / color from the mimi-mash
2. That seems a bit heavy on the crystal. With that high of an OG and using extracts you might end up with a very heavy beer.

I agree that you should dial back the crystal malt and go with all light extract. My yeast recommendation is US-05 dry yeast. You can use mrmalty.com to figure out gow much, but 2 packs should probably do it. As for IBUs, it's whatever. If you love hugely bitter DIPAs you'll have a hard time overdoing it. That said, I don't see the point in crossing the 100 line. My latest was estimated 115 at 8.5% ABV and it doesn't seem any more bitter than my first attempt at 100/10.5%.

You should check out the "easy stovetop PM" sticky in the grain brewing forum before you brew. 140* is too low for your mash and using a bag for the grains will make things a lot easier. It's all in the sticky.

A DIPA was my first PM batch as well and I think it was my best batch ever. Of course, I just winged it and will never be able to reproduce the results :)

Edit: oops, that sticky is here in the beginner forum.

Back