Geologists or rock hounds

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HBHoss

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I really enjoy finding interesting looking rocks but have yet to find a good reference source to figure out just what I have.
Let me know what some good web sites are or books that have pictures of rough rocks, not the cleaned up, pristine examples I see in a lot of these books.

I don't know much about the subject. When I was at the county fair this year, I went to a booth of the local rock hunting club. Great stuff. You might see if there is something similar in your area as well. I've wondered how they know what is inside some of those rocks or do they just start banging on them hoping something cool is inside.

I don't know much about the subject. When I was at the county fair this year, I went to a booth of the local rock hunting club. Great stuff. You might see if there is something similar in your area as well. I've wondered how they know what is inside some of those rocks or do they just start banging on them hoping something cool is inside.

I can look up what type of rock is in an area but unless it's blatant like obsidian or mariposite, I could be looking at some semi-precious stone and not know it. I went to Agate Beach over the summer and based on the pictures I had looked at, there was nothing like it on the beach. I did find a lot of cool looking stones though. :D

I've been looking at starting this, I think it would make for some fun afternoons with the kids. But I've just been looking for general information. I've had the best luck finding information if I add kids to the google search, This could be because I know nothing about it.

Rocks For Kids
Pebble Pups or Beginners; Rockhounding Arkansas

I've requested these two from my local library

Amazon.com: Looking at Rocks (My First Field Guides): Jennifer Dussling, Tim Haggerty: Books

Amazon.com: Let's Go Rock Collecting (Let'S-Read-And-Find-Out Science. Stage 2): Roma Gans, Holly Keller: Books

I figure that the place for me to start is with the kids books, start easy and go from there is what I'm thinking. I think these are like the can and kilo of rock collecting :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been looking at starting this, I think it would make for some fun afternoons with the kids. But I've just been looking for general information. I've had the best luck finding information if I add kids to the google search, This could be because I know nothing about it.

Rocks For Kids
Pebble Pups or Beginners; Rockhounding Arkansas

I've requested these two from my local library

Amazon.com: Looking at Rocks (My First Field Guides): Jennifer Dussling, Tim Haggerty: Books

Amazon.com: Let's Go Rock Collecting (Let'S-Read-And-Find-Out Science. Stage 2): Roma Gans, Holly Keller: Books

I figure that the place for me to start is with the kids books, start easy and go from there is what I'm thinking. I think these are like the can and kilo of rock collecting :)

Good idea, thanks. Makes sense to approach it as a kid instead of an adult since they tend to go real basic when dealing with the kiddies.
Not sure how close you are to Thunder Bay but I know they have Amethyst mines around that area.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a fair bit south of there, according to what I've been reading southern ontario is a great area. I'm really looking forward to the warm weather and hopefully the kids will find it interesting.

I'm a fair bit south of there, according to what I've been reading southern ontario is a great area. I'm really looking forward to the warm weather and hopefully the kids will find it interesting.

They like it as long as they find things. :D
I took my kids panning for gold and they would get real excited when they found some but didn't like the work involved. :)

Back