Hello Houston - Could use some suggestions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlkWater_brewer

Reaction score
I am looking for a few of Houston's Best Beers to try in the frozen North. Being unfamiliar with your locals brews, I need some advice on what to buy. I am really interested in something unique. Any suggestions for this cold Yankee?

I am looking for a few of Houston's Best Beers to try in the frozen North. Being unfamiliar with your locals brews, I need some advice on what to buy. I am really interested in something unique. Any suggestions for this cold Yankee?

Well, the best store to hit to purchase beer is the Spec's Liquor on Smith Street near downtown. Any Whole Foods and large HEB will also have a decent selection.

There is also a great Growler store called Growler's Beer and Wine... its on Waugh Street not far from downtown.

Where are you staying? Houston is a very spread out city...

Favorite local easy to get beers in cans and bottles...

Saint Arnold Endeavour.... being a double IPA, of course the fresher the better so check the bottle date. 4 packs and bombers

Saint Arnold Boiler Room.... its their Berliner Weisse... only about five bucks a bomber also

Karbach Weisse Versa.... kind of inbetween a Hefe and a Wit.... really, really good in my opinion.

Anything from Hops and Grain out of Austin... cans..... especially The One They Call Zoe

No Label's Off Label Perpetual Peace just came out and you might find some hiding somehwere in the city... a barrel aged Wee Heavy... sold in bombers

Buffalo Bayou Brewing Company has several beers you can find in bombers.

You can find Prairie Artisan Ales out of Oklahoma down here... and of course you might be able to find some Jester King out of Austin also....

Lone Pint out of Montgomery, Texas recently bottled their Yellow Rose IPA in bombers and their 667 Neighbor of the Beast IPA... both are really good... actually Yellow Rose is up there with the best beers I've ever had... really. You can usually find their beers on draft at any well known craft bar.... Growlers often has Yellow Rose on tap for fills... worth getting a 32 at least to take back to your room!

I like Southern Star out of Conroe, Texas... 8th Wonder is draft only around town.... their Rocket Fuel is a great beer.

Best beer bars..... Hay Merchant and Petrol Station are great... if you are down farther south then Nobi Public House...

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

bford, you know your local. There is a new growler store on Shepherd named Jugs, just south of Alabama. Has about 30 taps for samples that include some pretty unique sounding stuff. I got some 8th wonder there and its good but maybe not unique. Here are some other suggestions http://www.beeradvocate.com/place/city/65/

bford, you know your local. There is a new growler store on Shepherd named Jugs, just south of Alabama. Has about 30 taps for samples that include some pretty unique sounding stuff. I got some 8th wonder there and its good but maybe not unique. Here are some other suggestions http://www.beeradvocate.com/place/city/65/

Thanks for the info on Jugs! I'll check it out next time I go to Houston. I'm only in Houston about once a month.. I live southwest of town in Alvin...

For me it is all about the following:

Lone Pint: Yellow Rose
Buffalo Bayou: More Cowbell
Southern Star: Buried Hatchet
Karbach: Hopadillo

Other Texas beers I like

Real Ale: 4-squared
Cedar Creek: Dankosaurus
Community: Mosaic IPA
Deep Ellum: IPA

So yea I guess I like IPAs haha...

Hay Merchant, Petrol Station are both great. Flying Saucer is fun but downtown can be annoying.

I am from NH, big shock moving here. Have fun.

Back