Pliny in VA!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRBC

Reaction score
Thanks morewines! However, after reading all the amazing reviews, I think my expectations were too high. Pretty comparable to something like dfh60. I liked it, but I think I was expecting an alleluia chorus as I cracked opened the bottle, and the clouds to part when the nectar of the gods passed my lips. Well, that didn't happen, but I did manage to drink it all ;)

image-1087086147.jpg

I had it once. Meh. It was fresh too. I pass on it when it's at the shop. RR has some great brews.

$18.50/ 1 bottle shipped.:drunk:

holy jeez, the beer store on the corner gets 2 cases in a mnth,,, i pay 6 bucks. i like it alot more than dfh but i too expected the clouds to part as i opend it,,, makes you think, for the price of a couple i can brew 5 gallons of something comparable

Pliny is a cult classic at this point. At the place I worked at here in Boulder, a fresh keg would last about 36 hours. IMO, there are better brews out there if I am looking for a grapefruit bomb. RR makes some great stuff, but I stopped rushing to the local shop for it a long time ago. Avery Dugana and Grand Teton's Lost Continent, when brewed right, are more worth the price and effort.

I've never had it, but I feel no beer can live up to the hype that Pliny has, it's almost unfair to the beer to have to deliver on such high expectations

I'll take sculpin over pliny every day, and twice on sunday.

Good beer, but way over the top hype because of limited distribution and marketing.

I've been hearing so much about it that I will definitely still try it when I see it. Well, not for 18 dollars a bottle if that's the price. At a reasonable rate, yes. I've looked over a number of clones to this and it might be a bit more hoppy than I like at the moment. Still, I definitely would love to try this one.

I've been hearing so much about it that I will definitely still try it when I see it. Well, not for 18 dollars a bottle if that's the price. At a reasonable rate, yes. I've looked over a number of clones to this and it might be a bit more hoppy than I like at the moment. Still, I definitely would love to try this one.

Vinny has given the recipe, so you can make it yourself and be pretty close. It's a very balanced beer considering how much hops there are. It's not overly bitter, but has great hop flavor and aroma.

But, I still prefer sculpin. ;)

It was $18 including shipping. It's a fairly normally priced beer without it.

I was gifted a bottle last year, and glad to have sampled it, but I'm with you on the experience. Can check this one off my bucket list, won't go out of my way for another. Although if I'm ever in their area, I'd love to try one on tap.

PseudoChef said:
Did you just compare Pliny to DFH60 minute? I mean, I get that it may have underwhelmed you, but seriously?

Yeah, DFH60 was one of my first thoughts when I took my first sip. They are different beers, but maybe it was the prominent simcoe/Amarillo that caused the association with Dfh60 for me.

Also, I'm not bashing the beer at all - it is very good. It was just not the rehopulous experience I was expecting. I would drink it any day (but will not pay for shipping from CA again).

I may stop by whole foods and grab one tonight if it's $6 or less for the hell of it while I brew.

Back